What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Epiphytic?  utrics?  reeeeeaaaaallly?

Hi Cole,

I'm not that good in describing plants, so here is a photo of my biggest one:

Ut_humboldtii_1202.jpg

The picture is not the best one but I do think you'll get an idea of the leaf shapes. The pot size is 11cm btw.

Joachim

Great photo. Is a pot with holes like that preferable to a regular pot?

Hmm, I did try this pot because the Sphagnum and also the runners might grow easily through the holes and are not restricted to the pot. I don't know if it is an advantage but the plant did what I expected and grew through these holes into the tray. The tray is normally filled up to the rim, not like the level on the photo. Some runners went down into the tray and those were the best and biggest ones the plant developed (already took two of them apart).

Joachim

Okay, I'm starting to notice bladelike green growth popping out of the sphagnum, so it would appear the humboldtii is beginning to grow... thanks for bearing with me.

My next concern: I also obtained an alpina also. It has several leaves, and tubers as well... should I keep it dry? Is dry dormancy necessary for these to bloom? And exactly how dry?

Thanks!

Hi all ,

here are some links to pictures I took while I was in the Carribeans. I found there some Utrics  (U.alpina)  growing on mossy trees on the sides of two volcanoes I climbed.

Plants were growing in a perpetual humidity , providen by the monsoon-like daily rains (22 m = 66 ft rainfall per year ) . Only once a year they dry out , totaly , during the two months of the driest part of he year at that altitude (four about 1100 m =  3350 ft ) , what not mean they cant receive some humidity from the fresh morning fog

I observed the leaves to be taller than thoose of the "typical" forms , more strong also. even the flowers are taller . the spur is bigger , pointing forward , longer than the labella.
I have also seen many aborted flowers , as it seems this enormous humidity grade is a problem for the flowers .

and now , enjoy !

Patrice

http://home.cyberfun.info/plantem....PG.html

http://home.cyberfun.info/plantem....PG.html

by the way : the red "things" are orchids...

Wow. that is something I would LOVE to do on a vacation!
biggrin.gif

Cole

Amazing photos... thanks for sharing.

I grow my alpina in a very loose media in one of those net water lily pots. I keep it moist and it is never sitting in water. When the top moss begins to look a little dry then I will topp water and allow all excess water to drain. Humidity is a little over room level (so maybe 50%) Light is bright indirect with about 2-3 hours sun.

WOW Joachim!!! Awesome U. humboldtii, I've got to get one of those!!! Anyone help?

Hey Patrice,

Nice to see you around here, and thanks for the great photos. I just got U. alpina (a very nice start) so I appreciate the advice. I think generally this species should not dry off to much even in dormancy. My plan is to keep it moist when not in active growth, and wet but not waterlogged when it is putting out growth.

I agree with Pyro. I grow it in a mixture of fine orchid bark and dried sphagnum with a 1-2cm layer of pure dried sphagnum on top. I water it when the top of the media looks dry.

Tamlin: if you can tell when U alpina has gone dormant, you're a better man than I. Mine has shown easily identifiable growth pattern.

I've been reading Darwin's carnivorous plant book. He examined the tubers of U. alpina (known as U. montana to him) and found that they were not used for storing anything except for water. Apparently this is unusual in the plant world, tubers usually store starch as well as water.

He also allowed it to go without water for 30 days and observed the tubers shrinking, although they became turgid again shortly after they were watered.

So it doesn't sound as if anyone keeps alpina as wet as humboldtii (standing in water)... I've kept mine wet, but not sitting in water, and they seem pretty happy... it doesn't appear from your comments that they are as fussy about dormancy as other plants.

I dont even know if u.humboldtii produces tubers or not. I have yet to see any if it does. Anyone ever seen them? Maybe it only starts to form them in drying out conditions?
confused.gif

Cole

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dodecatheon @ Dec. 18 2002,9:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tamlin: if you can tell when U alpina has gone dormant, you're a better man than I. Mine has shown easily identifiable growth pattern.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It's amazing how a few typos can make you sound as if you are only just learning to speak english.

I meant to say that my U. alpina has not displayed any recognizable growth patterns.

Back