What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expanding into the unknown

Okay, spring is here and I want to adopt some Blatter warts to round out my collection. I'd really like to have spiecies native to Michigan, one terrestrial and one aquatic. However, I don't want a killer cp that tries to steal my other plants pots. Is their such a veriety native to Michigan? I'd sort of like a pritty one too. I guess whatever you guys sugest is what I'll look into more.

I can't remember if Michigan has many or any aquatic blatterwarts, but if it doesn't or only has huge ones, can someone sugest a relatively confined or slow growing spiecies? Thanks
smile.gif

The only one that I know of as a threat to other plants is subulata - and I doubt it is a threat to anything other than Utricularia and maybe small or slow growing drosera.
As for the aquatic species, they can be a bit tricky to grow. Gibba is probably the best to try, and I think it is native to Michigan.
If you want to start with a tropical terrestrial, I can send a U. livida division for SASE in a padded envelope (or trade).

I think that cornuta and resupinata are native to your area. Both more or less terrestrial.

And its "Bladderwort" as is a plant (middle english "wort") that has bladders.

Woops hee hee, thats an imbarising spelling error.

Are their any proticularly good websites on these plants out their? My searches don't come up with much, and I'd like to study up befor I get any plants. Thanks
smile.gif

dodecatheon's site is very good, and the CP FAQ, and search through old posts here too.

Cole

There's a few good websites out there. I'd recommend trying Dodecatheon's webpage It seems to be one of the best.
Most of the terrestrial species are amazingly easy, especially compared with other CPs.

Thanks. Yah, I know about the terrestrial ones, my mom was horrified that I wanted to grow "weeds"

Back