What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other species

Im wondering if anyone knows how many color varietys of U. livida are available and if anyone has any pictures of these or any information on how to obtain them. I currently have the standard variety and the "south african" variety.

Im also wondering how many simular species there are and if anyone has pictures of them.

I would like to see more easy species introduced into widespread cultivation.

I would like to find the Mexican form of this species. I grow an all white flowered variety, one with a violet splotch on the apron, and two other clones which have not flowered for me; one labeled as "South Africa" and one as "Durban". I do have photos but I cant get to them until my PC is back online.

I have the "south african" form sending up a flower stalk right now.....I should have a flower in the next few days I will try to get a pic. This variety is distinctly different from the usual form as the leaves are larger wider.

Anyone know what part of Mexico U. livida grows in??? Im thinking a road trip might not be out of the question..
biggrin.gif

Im also thinking maybe this thread should be expanded to include U. sandersonii and any other "easy species"

Im trying to expand my collection and Im thinking easy fast growing "rare" species is the place to start. I have all the usual species already (18 species, i think)

Im sure some of use should have have some unusual plants, all we have to do is compare pics and notes??

I have flowered the South Africa. The flowers are identical in shape and slightly larger in size to the typical for I grow. The colour on South Africal is better however, being purple under lighting conditions where the typical is pale

I should have a pic of a U.lividia "south africa" flower in just a few more days. Has anyone seen the flower of the "dourban" variety, is it the same as "south africa"?

My Durban hasn't flowered yet, but I am willing to bet that my plant with the violet eye is the same as both this and he South African clones.

I am not sure where the Mexican form may be found, and I have rarely seen it on growlists.

Judging from the photo I believe the unique characteristic of the Mexico form is the broad lower lip. It looks to be twice the size of the typical form I have. The lack of colour in the flower could just be due to low light conditions.

I just bought the Durbun variety, will try to take a pics of it...

Back