What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia warburgii

I like this one a lot! The flowers are larger than U. livida, and the leaves form attractive rosettes. It is a very well behaved little plant.

Utricularia_warburgii_flowers_051703_9r.jpg

I really need to expand my collection
sad.gif

How can I compete with that picture?

Nice flower - I especially like the purple bit on top. Shame it's so difficult in these close-ups to get the whole flower in focus - I assume it would take a powerful zoom lens rather than a macro. Any chance of a piece of that plant at any point, Tamlin?

Giles

I'm jealous. I haven't been able to get mine to flower yet, although it grows like a weed.

I might have to borrow that picture if I ever get around to updating my website.

Dodec,

Anything I have is yours for the taking. Well, with the exception of D. uniflora. Next up will be U. tridentata! I can't wait to see your new site! I will be glad to send you any photos you desire.

Giles,
With a proper macro I think the results would be better. My photos are taken via my digital with macro, and a hand held lens. Still, they are a good deal better than most of what is out there, and hopefully in time will improve.

You got mail!

You're probably right about the photos - not something I know that much about. How great a depth of field can you get with a decent macro, taking a flower that size? Who has mail - I am assuming it isn't me.

Giles

Hi,

To overcome the problem of depth of field limitation of macro shots, I often take high resolution pics (2400 x 1600) from a farther distance, than crop most of the picture off. The farther the subject from the camera, the larger the depth of field.

If you were really ambitious, you could set up a tripod, then take the picture twice, once with the front of the flower in focus, once with the back. Afterwards you could stitch them together with photoshop or whatever
biggrin.gif

What is the macro capability of you camera, without the addition of the lens? Mine is roughly 5 cm, which still allows me to take closeups, crop them, and end up with a high res pic, semi in focus:

xcarbarup.jpg

zoom doesn't tend to help much when taking macro shots, since the zoom doesn't allow for any closer in focus shots.

just my 2 cents

great flower by the way!
biggrin.gif

-noah

Yes, that was the point I was aiming at, though by a different and possibly less satisfactory route. Take the picture from as far away as possible that still allows sufficient resolution.

Giles

Back