What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pyro was saying heputs a U. alpina, or longifolia in with neps to get rid of Soil Dwellers...

What utric will grow well with a Ventrata? I know that ventratas are really... Not really a good way to guage conditions, but I honestly don't know it's conditions...
confused.gif

I like U. alpina, but I think its a bitmore difficult than a ventrata...

I would like a utric that has showy foliage and flowers... id est, not subulata grass, or anything like that...

Obviously it would have to be one that prefers slightly drier conditions, as my nep isn't sitting in water, right?

Hmm... Estimated conditions... 75-85 degrees (big range, it fluctuates with my humidifier.. hehehe), humidity is high enough for dewto say on my nep, so the air isnt so dry it sucks moisture out of the plants... Uuumm... Light... Its by a bright window, but only gets beamed on by the sun for about one hour... My ventrata is lightly coloured...

Ugh. I hope that was enough info.........
confused.gif

Thanks alot, I hope to make my ventrata pot a pretty little garden...
wink.gif

Greg

Calycifida or longifolia would be worth a try. Something like alpina or reniformis would be good, if you could get some. I'm not sure how effective any of these would be against soil pests. I'm not sure which soil organisms you'd want to get rid of. It might look nice though.

Its not to get rid of pests... i just think neps are good with friends around them inthe same pot...

Like a garden. I'll prolly add a D. capensis later if I get a bigger pot...

I LOOOVE alpina... Its so big and PRETTY!!!

I can get longifolia...

I have not done it with an alpina but have heard stories of it done. My longifolia 'alba' does well with my ventricosa. Calycifida would work too, as Dodec said, and also maybe tricolor if you can get a clone that takes okay to drier conditions.

Pyro. My calcyfida doesnt make offshoots with leaves as round as the ones it came with when you sent it to me...

They arewobbly tear drop shapped, and some arch a bit.

The offshoots are the shape of longifolia leaves, only half buried in sphag... isit ok?

There. I just stuck my calcyfida inwith my ventrata.
Thanks guys...
wink.gif

Parasuco,

My calycifida has been producing quite variable leaves as well but it is still very healthy. I think that the leaf shape is a reaction to conditions, the majority of the plant I sent you is grown in very bright conditions so the leaves are rounded, but the shoots farthest from the mother plant in the dark corners are much more tear drop shaped and generally larger.

Hope your calyci in the Nep pot works well for you. Let us know how it goes
smile.gif

I did it yesterday afternoon, and today is htis morning :)P), and its still alive... So it looks good.

It actually looks more impressive in my nep pot, it looks bigger than it did in that other thing I had it in... Thanks for sendin me that plant, I love it.
smile.gif

Hey, no problem sending it to you. You'll learn that this guy is prolific and before you know it you'll be sending out cuttings left and right just to keep it under control LOL

Back