What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant sources

Im looking for some good sources for Utricularia. My collection has grown to 12 species and im having difficulty finding more. Where does everyone else obtain there plants???

By that point, the only way you're going to find many more is by trading. There are a couple places that sell them, but rarely more than a couple of species. If you have any to trade, I'd suggest asking in the trading forum here.

That did help, my collection has now expanded by 4 species...or it will once i recieve my order! Its kinda hard to trade unfortunatly when you are first starting out. I have an abundance of U. livida and U. sandersonii but everyone else has those.

If anyone else knows of any sources I would love to hear.

Thanks

Bryant

Well, you know U. sandersonii and U. livida are variable. Maybe you have a clone that someone else doesn't have. Post a photo of the flowers when it happens, and you never know what might happen from it.

If you have lots of money to spend, try bestcarnivorousplants.com. They don't have a huge list of utrics, but they have some really unusual ones that might bag you some good trades.

If you have 16 species you're doing pretty well. Most just aren't that common in cultivation. If you order plants from lees botanical gardens, make sure you positively ID them before passing them on to people. I have orders from him before and got misidentified species - his U. caerulea and U. simplex are especially suspect.

If you do well with the plants you have, email me later this spring and I will see if I can help you out.

tim.

I did email bestcarnivorous plants with an order and have yet to hear back
sad.gif
but Im hopefull! I will let everyone know once I have plants to trade. Im also working on a web page right now I suspect that may be one of the better ways to increase my collection and maybe get others into carnivorous plants, right now im working on getting pictures for it.

Dodecatheon,

Any possible ideas on what his simplex might be?
Whatever it is, it's a very fast growing plant.

Kay,
Bestcarnivorous plants doesn't ship plants til spring/summer. They are good to work with (send lots of gemmae when I was ordering pygmy dros. I haven't ordered their utrics yet cos it's winter). Their catalog is online at their site.

I too have all the utrics that Lees BG sells. The only ones I'm "sure" of are U. livida (it flowers contsantly), U. bisquamata (came with flowers). I've heard many are "nothing but subulata", but given the ease of infestation/colonization in other pots when growing utrics I'm not surprised somone receives erroneous species popping up in their cultures.

I can't remember what I ordered from him, but what I got ended up being U. subulata, and a mixture of U. graminfolia and U. uliginosa. If the leaves are very narrow, with a pointed tip it is probably U. subulata. For the rest you will need to wait till they flower.

Josh,

Not entirely true. They e-mailed and mailed my order 2/24/03. It usually would be here by now, but it has not arrived. Maybe they sent it because I wanted to try the temperate Pings and they need to be sent as gemmae before the start growing.
BTW, I have had horrible luck with pings(except for U. longifolia that grew so prolific, it killed many plants through suffication before I ripped it out). I am getting an RO machine soon, so I should be able to maintain a deeper water level.

Regards,

Joe

Ok, I placed an order through a couple of companies from this thread and the results were truely fustrating. For starters I placed an order through California Carnivorous for a few different species, what I recieved was plants so infested with U. subulata and U bisquamata that I will never be able to seperate everything out
sad.gif
and the U. subulata is already chocking out the other species, the order was a waste of money. I also ordered from Lee's Botanical Gardens, 4 plants. I recieved 2 bags of peat moss labeled as plants, but on very very close inspection there were no roots or leaves, or anything alive in these bags
mad.gif
the other 2 bags were mislabeled
sad.gif

Has anyone else had this bad of experiences ordering plants?
confused.gif
?

You'll need a magnifying glass to find his Utricularia usually (or at least I did when I ordered). Just look for the thin threadlike leaves, and if you can find one, plant with that side up. Of course, all mine have turned out to look exactly the same, so I'm guessing I've just got a bunch of subulata in different pots.
I can't believe how hard it is to find Utricularia for sale. You'd think being such easy plants, more people would grow them.

2 of the bags didnt even contain those.....nothing at all but peat moss, I picked it all apart looking really carefully.
confused.gif

Carnivorous23 and Kayaker.

PM me and I will try and set you up with some plants.

Back