What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. reniformis "small form"

I am very interested in finding the small form of U. reniformis, and am seeking any possible sources for this plant. I really would like to see the difference in flowers between the two species. I have the "giant" form in cultivation, and it is doing so well I am itching to try the smaller form.

Tamlin,

How can i know if my plant is small form or not??

I would also like to find a source for the large or small form of reniformis in the US. I recently got seed from over seas, not sure which form, that have not shown any sign of life. On the plus side my pubescens seed have sprouted and there are three little sprouts in the longifolia pot. I hope they're longifolia and not grass or some other weed.

Chris

The small form is really small. The leaves are only about 1 cm across, and 2-3 cm tall.

William,

Our source for the seeds we grew up also has the small form. Have you checked with him?

I'll ask around with a couple other outside sources and see what they have to say.

Dodec,

With the gross difference in size is it possible this plant is something other that reniformis? A reniformis x nephrophylla hybrid or possibly a different species that got lumped in?

That small?
confused.gif
Wow. Do your plants flower? I must find this plant!

Seb, the large form of U. reniformis gets leaves that can be as big as the palm of your hand, and this is likely what you are growing. My plant is just thriving, and is one of my favorite CP. Uh Oh, I probably shouldn't have said that.....

Let the hunt begin (sounds horn)!

I haven't seen it in flower. I might have exaggerated the size bit - leaves are between 1 and 3cm. I suppose that it might be a hybrid with nephrophylla, but hybrids between utric species seem to be pretty rare. I will have a look at the bladders.

Well, i don't remember how the mother plant looked like (the one my friend gave me a piece from) but my plant is growing with small leaves as you describe. It has produced lots of leaves but all of them are small (the biggest ones are 1.5cm in diameter) and short.

I asked my source yesterday if it was the small form but still don't have a reply.

Happy growing,

UtricSeb

Dodec, Tamlin. If mine turns out to be the small form i will send both of you a piece of it.

I've already got it, but thanks for the offer.

Back