What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 questions about bladderworts

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know what you all that keep bladderworts feed your plants? How do you feed them? and how can the bladders in the plants be made visible? (B.T.W. these questions are for terrestrial Bladderworts). Thanx all! Have a Good One

i heard that the feed off things in water. When people put theirs in the water tray the bladders grow towards the bladder. I think it feeds itself. I am not sure though

I don't add anything to my plants as I feel a native stock of critters will eventually establish themselves and the plants will eat them. To grow the plants so you can see the traps can by tricky, try using a clear plastic cup as a pot and put black papar or something over it. In time the plant will grow up against the cup and if you remove the dark cover you can see the bladders. You can also try growing species that will grow out the bottom of their pots, U. longifolia and U. tricolor do this most often for me so maybe give them a try

Thank you both for your info, especially Pyro I had heard the thing you said about covering a clear pot with something dark, I had no idea why that would make the bladders visible, now I know why, Thanx Pyro
Later

LA Traphole (hee hee, I'm in LA too),

u.sandersonii 'blue flower' has a tendency to grow many of its roots right out of the top of the soil. The bladders are tiny though. The more humidity, the more roots you'll see, mine's at 60-80% and always sits in 0.5-2" of water.

If you'd like some and don't acquire any in a few months, email me and I can send you a chunk. Mine's a little too small at the moment.

sandersonii_blue.jpg

Wow! thanks soooo much Wicked for the offer, I don't really have anything to give you though, I've only been involved in keeping CPs for about a months I only have a cape sundew and a Venus Fly Trap. If the offer still I'll be more than happy to accept your plant. I will repay your generosity somehow, someday as I'm a struggling college student at the moment.
Thank you again, you're sooo nice. Sincerely L.A. Traphole

Back