What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea traps growing in water

Dave S.

NECPS President
I have seen pictures in The Savage Garden and I have read other sources that claim you can grow a genlisea so that the traps extend into water.

Can this be done all the time or should you do it only for temporary display purposes?

I wonder if there would be any long term danger to the plant's health.

I think it would be fine, it is no different than when the traps are flooded in the growing medium. It may actually work better that way for easy feeding with daphina. I always wanted to try it... but I am to lazy to do it.
smile.gif

Cole

It can be done all the time but the set up on SG is really only good for display purposes as that set up is only about 3" tall. I would recommend (based on a number of plants I have seen grown this way) that you pot the plant in LFS in one of those plastic mesh waterlilly pots, about a 3-4" pot should be fine. There are (somewhere) these glass globes that are used for plants and one of these pots will fit perfectly in. Keep the water level so that it only submerges the lower half of the pot, more than that and the plants seem to do a little poorly.

Back