What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G'Day everyone,

I went on a fieldtrip today in the hope of finding some native Australian Utricularias in flower. Ended up finding huge colonies of U. dichotoma and U. tenella both in full flower. It was quite a windy day but the flowers managed to stay still long enough to get a few good shots. This is a few more photos than I would normally add but I wasn't sure which ones to leave out. Hope you enjoy seeing these plants in their natural habitat.

Firstly, a shot of the habitat of U. dichotoma. You can see many of the purple flowers. This area is a small depression on the side of a walking track in a flora and fauna reserve in the middle of Melbourne suburbia. The water was around 10 cms at its deepest and slowly beginning to dry out as summer approaches-

Utricularia%20dichotoma%20in%20habitat%20Langwarrin4%20201003.JPG

Next, a shot of U. dichotoma flowers sticking up out of the water-

Utricularia%20dichotoma2%20Langwarrin%20201003.JPG

A picture of a bunch of flowers growing amongst reeds-

Utricularia%20dichotoma%20cropped%20201003.JPG

Three flowers growing close together-

Utricularia%20dichotoma5%20Langwarrin%20201003.JPG

A nice robust double header-

Utricularia%20dichotoma1%20Langwarrin%20201003.JPG

A flower spike growing up against a Drosera aff. peltata plant-

Utricularia%20dichotoma%20and%20D.%20peltata%20Langwarrin%20201003.JPG

And finally a double header of Utricularia tenella. If you look carefully you can see Drosera peltata plants in the background. These plants grew in soil that was just moist and not submerged as U. dichotoma prefers. It may pay to take these growing conditions into account when you grow these species yourself.

Utricularia%20tenella%20Langwarrin%20201003.JPG

Also present in this area close by were many plants of D. peltata, D. auriculata, D. aff. peltata, D. whittakerii ssp. aberrans, D. pygmaea and D. glanduligera.

Regards,

Sean.

Nice photos as always Sean. Have you ever observed a pollinator for U. tenealla? My plants will not self seed, despite being annuals. Since the plants produce seed in habitat there must be something there doing the deed.

Thank you so much! I have almost no feeling for what the natural habitat of my plants is like, and it's great to get a guided tour, so to speak. Your photos of the flowers are incredible, too.

Great job!

Hey Tamlin, I've never actually seen the U. tenella flowers being pollinated but whatever does it is extremely efficient. The plants we found in this area numbered in the millions, nearly all had been pollinated with seed capsules forming. The only insect that I could imagine to be present in great enough numbers to achieve this is some type of ant. There are many present in the area.

The U. dichotomas also had many flowers that had been pollinated and I'm not sure what the pollinator for these would be either. It couldn't be ants as the plants grow in water making it impossible for the ants to get to them. Next time I see these plants I'll make sure I take a closer look to see which insect is responsible.

Regards,

Sean.

I am pretty sure that a small beetle did the pollination here on my outdoor grown U. dichotoma. I really have to learn some way to pollinate these plants by hand: as it is I am going to lose both species of "Polypomphlox". U. multifida flowered already: wonderful flowers they were too! U. tenella is close to flowering size now, and that will be a first for me.

Sorry for this off topic question, but have you ever seen either a pink or a white form of U. dichotoma in habitat?

I have seen white U. dichotomas in flower several times. During the trip I took these photos we saw a single white flowered dichotoma that hadn't quite opened up yet. Another day later and the picture would have been on the forum.

I am visiting a spot on Friday which is extremely rich in CPs- U. dichotoma and D. binata forms in particular. I have seen many white flowered dichotomas there in previous years. The dichotomas found in this area grow mainly on granite rocks in the millions, they really are an awesome sight. I plan on adding a few photos to the forum next weekend. I know you'll be impressed. I'm really hoping to find U. beaugleholei, lateriflora, tenella and violacea as well while I'm in the area.

I don't recall ever seing a pink flowered dichotoma but I've seen every shade between white and deep purple. I'm on the lookout though.

Regards,

Sean.

Hello, Thanx for the pics.

I always thought U. Dichotoma was pretty plain and rather ugly but your pictures have changed my mind. The dichotomas in your pictures are very pretty little skirts. I might get some for an Australian CP terrarium I'm planning to put together when I divide my cephs.

Man I can't wait to see you next pictures. Good luck on finding some U. Violacea! I hope you take requests, I would really love to see U. Multifida and U. Simplex, hope you can find some of those too.
biggrin.gif
Thanks so much

Well if I have made one extra person appreciate the charm of these beautiful little plants then I am a happy man.

I don't like my chances of getting any shots of U. simplex or multifida in the near future. The problem is that they grow on the other side of the country- about 5000 kms away. Something like from NYC to LA. Hopefully next year I'll be over there.

Regards,

Sean.

Sean,

The pink U. dichotoma is out there. I saw a photo of a fairly large population of them, I may even have it in my files. If I find it, I'll email it to you.

U. dichotoma is most impressive when in mass flowering!

I am surprised to learn of its preference for granite: this might be something to consider. Lately I have taken to using a base of pumice rock to place my substrate on, and with very good results. I might try the same thing with some crushed granite on a spare pot of U. dichotoma by way of experiemnt.

Are there other Australian species that are "graniteophiles"? In fact, if you have any input on any substrates for any species I am very interested in hearing of them :) . I recall Pyro to be experimenting with a grantic substrate for his U. menziesii (drool. sigh.). How is that going by the way Pyro?

Tamlin,

The U. dichotomas I will be seeing tomorrow are not your typical dichotoma. The grow high up on an isolated granitic mountain range and grow in the moss pads which remain moist in winter and spring due to seeps running over the rocks. Plants are shorter and more delicate than dichotomas from other locations and do have a sort of pinkish flower (maybe these are the ones you mention?).

The same plants also grow at the base of the mountain range in damp soils, but in smaller numbers. These areas are the ones in which I have seen quite a few white flowered specimens.

I should be posting some photos of these dichotomas tomorrow night. With a bit of luck I'll be able to collect a bit of seed while I'm there.

Besides in this area, I've never seen U. dichotoma growing anywhere else on granite or other rocky substrate. Every other population I've seen of the plants is in sandy or peaty soil.

I have also seen U. uniflora and U. uliginosa growing in moss on a granite base. Over in WA I also saw U. menziesii growing in the same fashion.

I'd like to have a look at the photo of the pink dichotoma you have. Any idea where or by whom it was taken?

Regards,

Sean.

I checked my files and even did a websearch but I can't find it. I am going through my address book in hopes of recognizing the authors name as I did email him and he replied.

YAY! I found the photo, but it really is of too low quality to see the details of the flowers. I will forward it to you. I asked the author who reassured me the flowers were pink vs. light purple or lavendar. The location is at Bunadoon Spring. Happy hunting Sean!

As usual...beautiful photos and fascinating information.

Yep...my interest in utrics is getting piqued.
smile.gif

It still boggles my mind what you can find over your way.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics you do...its greatly appreciated.

Suzanne

Back