What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

genlisea

hey everyone

im new here and really wanting to learn all that i can about utrics. well, im also interrested in genlisea, but i cant seem to find any information on it and i cant find it for sale anywhere. are these plants readily availabe? i dont have any CP's to trade, but if someone is interrested in a tarantula (aphonopelma 'eutylenum' or 'iodium&#39
wink.gif
i have one i can trade for a plant cutting or something. thank you

Noah actaully has a lot genlisea for trade or sale last time i dealt with him. I got one from him and its doing GREAT!. Here is how i keep it:

its in a cup filled with wet peat moss. I water from the top and when i do so, i make sure its semi-flooded. Its in a terrarium where it gets 2 hours indirect light.

zach, does the cup have a hole in it, or is it jsut like, a glass cup kinda deal?

I grow genlisea in plastic see-through drinking cups with no holes as the plants like to be kept almost submerged.

smile.gif
thanx for the input! genlisea sounds pretty east to grow then. i really wanna try it, but like i said, i dont know where to get it. you mentioned Noah having some. how do i get in touch with noah? i have no idea who that is. well, thank you for the reply and take care!

The cup has no hole. you know, i havent seen noah online for a long while! whats up?

It woud look spiffy in one of those deocrative bowls/vases... U know like giant whine glasses? They sell them at craft stores...

IronMonkey,

Here is some info.

Contact me via the messanger or email and I'll help you out

Pyro

--------------------------------

How to Grow Genlisea:

Media:
I grow mine in straight LF sphag with a small amount of peat (maybe 5-10%) and have recently been experimenting with a mix of equal parts milled sphag:peat:sand top-dressed with a thin layer of sphag that seems to work well.

Pots:
I find that the majority of species grow best in drained pots using a deep tray and every 1-3 days suck the water out of the tray using a turkey baster and squirt it around the plant to drain through the pot.
If you decide on an un-drained pots keep the water level anywhere between even with the media and 2 cm above the media
The plants themselves may be small but the traps can grow quite deep and I recommend at least a 4" pot, ideally 5-6"

Light:
These plants are similar to terrestrial Utrics and can be grown under the same conditions; half to full sun or 6-8” from fluorescents.

Temperature:
Sub-tropical/tropical conditions. Can take down to 50 and up to 100 for short periods. Ideal temp is 70-80.

Humidity:
As the pots should be kept constantly wet they will provide sufficient air moisture.

Dormancy:
Genlisea seem to have a semi dormant period during winter triggered by the reduced photoperiod. At this time growth slows and leaf size is reduced. During this time I only top water drained pots about every 10 days and keep the water level in the tray at about ½” For un-drained pots I allow the media to remain only damp.

Propagation:
These plants are propagated most easily via cuttings. Traps and leaves both work well as do the flower scapes. Lay these on milled sphag that is just damp (submerge some sphag in water and then squeeze out the excess) and keep under the same conditions as the parent plant. Seeds also work but most be sown rapidly as they have very short viability.

Species:

G. hispidula

This species seems to do best in undrained pots grown as an amphibious plant. The leaves are more succulent in nature than other species I have grown and I suspect that this plant might be able to survive very brief dry periods (though I have never tried this.) The flowers are white to light pink and have a deep magenta throat though this is often hidden by the overhanging upper corolla. These species is easily propagated by leaf cuttings as well as by using old flower stalks. Though it is an annual in habitat it grows as a perennial in cultivation.

G. violacea

This plant grows well both as an amphibious in undrained pots and as a terrestrial in drained pots. Many people report having difficulty with leaf cuttings of this species but I have never found this to be true. It will also readily produce plantlets from surface traps often filling its pot. The flowers are a light pink in colour and are produced prolifically.

G. lobata

A very fast growing and vigorous plant for me, it definitely seems to prefer growing as a terrestrial in a drained pot. Leaf cuttings take easily and rapidly but plantlets can be slow growing initially. The flowers of this species are pure white with some forms having a purple upper corolla.

G. pygmaea

I have just received this species so I have very little to go by. From photos I have seen it appears that it appreciates waterlogged conditions so I intend to try growing it as an amphibious.

G. sp ‘Itacambria Beauty’

Believed to be a form of (or related to) G. violacea, this plant is very similar in appearance but its leaves are a lighter, almost lime, green in colour. Slightly more difficult to strike from leaf cuttings but may succeed well from trap cuttings. I do not know what the flowers look like but reports indicate that it varies anywhere from a very light pink to a dark purple-blue.

I grow all of my genlisea in plain 3 inch pots in a peat or peat/sand mix. I keep them in a tray and allow the water level to vary between ~2 inches and dry. I don't really pay any attention to dormancy periods, the plants just grow when they want to. Basically, I grow them in exactly the same way I would grow, say, U. sandersonii.

I haven't had much success with cuttings, but if left undisturbed in their pots they will multiply.

tim.

yes, the traps are long !

Gen_vio_fallen01.jpg

Here is another good site for Genlisea pics. Scrool down to the Genlisea link in the text.

Back