What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do they eat?

I just got to the part on Utrics in my book and it says that they eat aquatic bugs and stuff but it also says that they are not always out of water.....so what do they eat if you plant them in a pot or when they are not in the water?

They eat fruit fly larvea, fungus nat larvea, and other microscopic bugs.If you flood them, you can also introduse (spelling?) daphina.
Spectabilis73

You might get better feedback here...
smile.gif

The main diet of terrestrial Utrics is soil organisms, mostly microscopic type but unto and including nematodes, fungus gnat larvae, springtails and the like.

Just a hunch here, but I would also expect that many terrestrials grow in places where the water table is just under the surface,and therefore by sending growth down a few inches they are essentially underwater. And epiphytes probably also grow stolons and rhizoids down into the soggier corners of their habitat.

Back