What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia multifada

Using Dodec's spray method, I have germinated this seed. It looks like a good germination response too. Any hints as to how to approach the cultivation? Standard care, or is there something more?

Tamlin,

What is Dodec's spray method?

Essentially, the seed is sown on a top layer of sand, placed in tray watering, but the surface is misted daily. Presumably, this leaches out the inhibitory enzymes thaat are in the seed coat which are very stubborn in seed that is not fresh.

I am pleased to have germinated Polypomphlox, Pink Petticoats, or U. multifada. I miss the old genus name :-( This is a nice rosetted plant, and really quite different to my way of thinking than Utricularia. It reminds me of Genlisea in a superficial way.

Only a few seeds so far have germinated, and this is an annual species so pollination is necessary to obtain seed.

Dodec, have you had any results pollinating your flowers? See, I'm worried about it already!

Off subject, I know, but why did they drop the Polypomphlox name, and how long ago did they do it?

Cole

Taylor reorganized and dropped this genus, ohh back in the 80's I think (now you know why it is so hard to find if you have been looking for it).

I recommend to keep misting until the plants are well established. I have 4 flowers out now, and probably a dozen more waiting to open. Quite a sight.

Regarding pollination - I think it has taken. The flowers have fallen, and the ovary (correct term?) looks swollen. I spent some time with the microscope looking at utric flowers, and it looks as if the anthers are on very short stalks immediately below/in front of the pistil. If you take a piece of fishing line and hold it parallel to the ground and move it up and down it should pollinate it.

<u>
  O          << Pistil</u>
 I I    ^    << Anther
        ^
   Fishing line

Crude, but does it clarify?

The grouping with Utricularia is pretty solid, as far as I can tell, especially since U. westonii seems to be a "missing link".

As well, there are quite a few annual utric species that grow as a simple rossette in the style of a Genlisea sp.

Sure, I realize this. I still miss tripping that name off my tongue though. Aw heck, lets just call her "Pink Petticoats" and irk the taxonomists, hee hee.

Regarding the rosetted form in Utricularia: remember the case of my false Genlisea ID that turned out to be U. arenaria that came up in a pot from seed? That plant continues to maintain its rosetted habit, and I suspect that this may well be a common thing among seed grown Utricularia. I hope to have more positive experiencess with seed, and test the hypothesis.

Back