What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weeds?

• Thread starter Tim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    soil
I'm always scared to pull up plants that come up from soil I get in trades, just in case they are carnies. Shall I pull this up?

weed.jpg

and this

seedling.jpg

That last is one of about a dozen that came up after I got a bunch of cool drosera from Zack, but they don't look like anything I'm familar with.

It is a type of grass that sprouts from seeds in the soil, they have a very strong root system, and they can get hard to remove without disurbing the other residents of the pot. I put mine in a different pot to see what it looks like once it gets older.

Cole

Thanks, I suspected a type of grass. I'll plan on pulling it up as long as you sure it's not something strange.

Regards

just pull it, those #### grasses sprout like mad from sphagnum, they are an insidious weed in the greenhouse.
Just grab the base of the rosette and pull!

biggrin.gif

Thanks! Two experts agree, I pull!

I did, and the root system did indeed look like grass! Thanks.

Technically, I think that it is a species of sedge rather than grass. Certainly not carnivorous though.

Back