What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish waste?

Does anyone know what aquatic utrics can and can't process? I'm wondering, if I put it into a tank with fish, will it eat any of the waste matter? I figure it may eat leftover food if it floats by.
confused.gif

Saying that the fish's water conditions are favorable, it should be fine, but if the fish is herbavorious...*cough* Oh, yeah, the fish food should be just fine.
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I'm not sure if fish food would be able to trigger the utric's trapping mechanism.

dodecatheon,
I think he's saying that the fish would consider the Utrics as food.
wow.gif

alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ May 23 2003)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">will it eat any of the waste matter?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Quote (Vertigo @ May 23 2003)
will it eat any of the waste matter?

Indirectly, as the waste matter and fish food is consumed by microorganisms they will inturn become food for the Utrics
smile.gif

Well, yeah sorta.
smile.gif
I was just wondering if aquatic cp's would help break down anything extra in the water, almost acting as a natural filter of sorts. Plus, i'll probably have some baby brine shrimp floating around for everyone.

Probably normal non-CP aquatic plants would be better at absorbing waste products (dissolved nutrients such as ammonia and nitrate, rather than solids).

I have a huge U. aurea in my 55 gallon fishtank, and if it doesn't take a lot of the waste matter from the water, i don't know where it gets its vigor from, because there aren't any little critters in the tank for it to "eat".

Because of the speed it grows, i would say it's a pretty good natural filter, but you'll have to throw away large portions of it from time to time.

Sounds a lovely plant. Any time you feel like throwing some of it out in the direction of Ireland I'll be happy to catch it.

Giles

I think I will try some U.gibba with my Beta tonight

Cole

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Giles_KS @ June 01 2003,5:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds a lovely plant. Any time you feel like throwing some of it out in the direction of Ireland I'll be happy to catch it.

Giles[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Sorry Giles, my pitching arm isn't quite that good.
tounge.gif
 I'm not sure what the regulations would be on mailing you some.  Do you?

Back