What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii

Inquiring minds want to know. I am also interested in learning of any different appearing clones should anyone have information on this.

Hi Jan,

Oh you lucky dog!! What a stunning plant. The second form is what I am growing. I have heard of the Leiden flower show, what fantastic resources you have to hand in Europe! I searched here in the States for years before finally finding the plant that I currently have, and it is thriving.

I am growing mine in a mesh basket in live sphagnum. This spring I placed the basket in a large glass apothacary jar surrounded by live sphagnum, and keep the water 1/4 of the way up the pot. I am getting fantastic growth now, with beautiful purple veins in the leaves.

Hi,

Here are some pictures of my plant. It was my price at our picture contest
smile.gif
. I grow it in pure sphagmum.

I've also seen the plant, Jan photographed in Würzburg. Mine has a similar leaf form. The flower was really great. It was the first time for me to see a flowering plant.

Christian

Hi again!

The Owner of the flowering Utricularia humboldtii had some flowering U. reniformis, too. He told me that he succeed in crossing the U. reniformis 'large' form with the U. reniformis 'small' form and showed me some 0,5 cm "tall" seedlings.

Perhaps we will hear more from him...
wink.gif

Jan

My plant produces the spoon-shaped leaves, and long grassy types. Its largest leaves are about the size of my thumb.

Nice Pics!
Cole

Jan you make me jealous. I am going to have to find someone growing this clone and see if I can get a division, I like the look of it better than my current clone.

It looks like it is an all-around stronger clone than ours. Look at the size of the leaves, and the arial stolons, and all the stolons coming out of the bottom of the pot! Drooling...
rolleyes.gif

Cole

Hi everyone!

This clone will soon be in culture in the states and will sure spread around quickly!

Jan

Hi,

the leaf shape and size of Ut. humboldtii greatly depends on growing conditions. Especially the light levels are important. During winter the leafes of my clone get much bigger than in summer.

Ut_humboldtii_0703.jpg

Luckily Ut. humboldtii is easy to flower
smile.gif

Ut_humboldtii_flower_0703.jpg

Joachim

Hi Joachim.

The plants on my photos were grown under extreme low light levels for a while. But since they have been in my collection they got plenty of light and kept the same leaf form.

I think it is another clone!

A very nice flower indeed!
wink.gif

Good growing!
Jan

Yes, that is a lovely photo. I had an idea the flowers were paler than that, more a sort of lilac colour? Is that blue the true colour, or has it been deepened at all by the camera? As my plant only has 2 leaves and an aerial stolon, I think I may have a fair while to wait yet.

Giles

Hi,

well the leaf form of this clone was also paddle shaped in winter. Leafes were about four times as big as the ones seen on the photo. Giles, I don't know which colour the flower turns out on your monitor, but it is in fact more lilac than blue. I obtained this plant at the beginning of last year with only two leafes only. So you might not have to wait very long for a flower.

Cheers Joachim

To me the flower looks a similar colour to U. reniformis or U. nelumbifolia, whereas the photo in 'The Savage Garden' is much paler. Are you growing yours in pure Sphagnum? I need to collect some moss for mine.

Giles

Hi all,

I've just received a U. humboldtii stolon with many traps, a growth point but no leaves. I've never grown the species before and don't want to kill it. Can anyone suggest an appropriate potting mix as well as the conditions they grow their plants in- (eg- temps, light, watering). Also how deep should I plant the stolon?

I've noticed that many growers prefer to grow their plants in mesh baskets. Are such baskets necessary? Are normal pots OK?

Thanking you in advance.

Sean

Hi Sean,

I grow mine in a pot half filled with clay perls, then a big layer of live sphagnum and the plants in that. I added a little bit extra peat under the sphagnum and put the pot in a tray.

Jan

Back