What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold weather ultrics

• Thread starter Dargath78
  • Start date
D

Dargath78

I live in NE Ohio and have no Utrics and was wondering if there are any forms that can be kept outside all year long.
I can't seem to find any.

There are quite a few aquatic Utrics which survive cold winters by forming a winter-resting bud, or turion, that could be grown outside in Ohio. U. vulgaris or U. australismight be good ones to try, or some of the native US aquatics. There are not many frost-hardy terrestrial Utrics, if you can find it, you could try the alpine form of U. dichotoma, also known as U. monanthos, outside. I'm trying it outside in the UK this winter for the first time, our winters tend to be a bit milder than yours though!

Vic

Hello Dargath78,

I live in near Seattle, WA, and I grow U. sandersonii and subulata year around outside. I know my winters are milder but if this is any encouragement; last winter it got down to 18 F a few times, and several instances the low temps were in the 20's F. This might be nothing compared to where you live but you might want to give it a try with these species?? Anyway, best of luck to you.

-Homer

These are Native to Michigan and should work for Ohio.

U. macrorhiza
U. cornuta
U. minor
U. intermedia
U. gemniscapa
U. gibba
U. resupinata
U. purpurea
U. radiata

Most of these are aquatic and need lots of room.

I hope this list helps.

Glenn

I am in Northern NY (minimum temps. -20 below zero) U. intermedia and U. macrorhiza survive. I lost U. radiata, purpurea and gibba over last winter.

Hey guys, I have U sandersonii typical and blue, and U. livida.. do you think those will handle winter here in San Jose? Here is our average temps: http://www.weather.com/weather/climatology/monthly/95111
That chart may be a little deceptive, we always have at least a few nights a year that drop into the 20's or teens.

Thanks
Steve

hhhm , i never knew that u. dichotma and u. monathos were the same species , no wonder they looks so alike . you forgot u. subualata , the utrics that grows like a weed anywhere .
biggrin.gif

oops! Add U. subulata to the list of Michigan Utrics.

Back