What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia in action

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
I wanted to share with everyone a chance to see Heliamphora, Utricularia, and Drosera growing in habitat on the 9000-foot high plateau in Venezuela, Mount Roraima. David Atteborough has a 6-volume video series titled 'The Private Life of Plants'; in volume 6, "It's a Jungle Out There", you can see him walking atop the mountain plateau through patches of Heliamphora, Utricularia and Drosera (the species that forms tall stalks of dead leaves as it grows). The highlight of this volume (in my opinion) is a detailed segment showing Uticularia humboldtii 'hunting' in time-lapse photography as it searches out various bromeliad pools until it finds suitable prey. You can see the plant sending tendrils out and growing bladders as it hunts for mosquito larvae, all in time-lapse. David walks through a beautiful natural garden of CPs in a constantly saturated environment. I hope others are able to see this video, it's awesome.

How do you get it?

...am I allowed to name commercial sites here?
confused.gif
..... if not, email me and I'll tell you.

Great set of videos, just got done watching them myself.

Ludwig, so long as it is not for a competitor of PFT you can post a commercial site (thanks for being cautions though
smile.gif
)

I got mine from Amazon.com.

It's a great series, about the only thing we Brits do really well nowadays is produce excellent wildlife documentarys. Life of Mammals, the latest series by David Attenborough is currently being shown on the BBC here in England. No CPs, but still brilliant television.

Vic

I must check it out. The drosera you describeed is probably Drosera roraimae

Vic, I think you you are forgetting that Brits produce good comedies, too. 'Allo, Allo' (My favorite); Are You Being Served, As Time Goes By...just to name a few.

Hi Big
We do produce good comedies, although my tastes are a bit more 'avant garde' (or sick, it depends on your perspective!)than yours. My favourite British comedies are League of Gentlemen and Father Ted. I'm not sure if they show them in USA, but they are quite different to your favorites.

I've got to go to a traditional English pantomime with my family and in-laws (grand parents, uncles neices, nephews etc.)on Saturday, we have the whole front row of the theatre booked,  and just by coincidence the cast includes several star members of the Allo Allo cast. I'm sure the kids will love it.

I hope you got the gemmae I sent you OK.

Happy Holidays

Vic

I've seen Father Ted. Pretty funny. I liked the christmas episode where the priests were all lost in the women's underwear section of the department store.

I haven't seen any recent episodes though.

Sadly, Dermot Morgan, the actor who played Father Ted died a couple of years ago, so there are no recent episodes. Great series though, I have all the episodes including the Christmas Special and watch a few whenever I need cheering up.

weihnachtsmann083.gif

Happy Christmas

Vic

Vic, I haven't received them yet
sad.gif
.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Back