What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. dichotoma

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
There is some strange growth on my U. dichotoma.  It is hard to see in this photo.  Look towards the top of the picture, near the rim of the pot.  the growths are black.  What is going on here?!
U.%20dichotoma%203-29-03.jpg

later,

I dont see anything out of the ordinary going on with it. It looks just like my plant does.  Maybe we just cant see it in the photo. (Nice plant too!
smile.gif
)

Cole

yeah, you really can't.  not yet.  once they get  bigger i'll get another pic up.  but for now.  i'll tell you.   two flower stalks!  WOOHOO!!!  (maybe now you can see them.  lol) thanks, i thought it was looking pretty good too!
later,

I noticed them before I read the answer. I guess I've spent too much time looking at utrics. U. dichotoma has pretty impressive flowers - you'll like them. I hope that your growing area has plent of head room - the stalks can get pretty tall.

BTW, it looks like you have some mineral accumulation on the surface of the soil - what kind of water are you using? I don't know how sensitive they are to water impurities, but you might want to keep an eye on it.

good job on the find!!! i knew someone would see them. lol

distilled.  i noticed that too.  it seams it is just sand that is drying out. i don't know.  i have rinced the pot.  and tested the drain water.   8 ppm.  so i have pretty much ruled out mineral build up.   apparently the plant is happy.  
tounge.gif
  any other ideas on that?
thanks,

It also could be some kind of powdery mold.

i have seeds of this plant and does anybody have any tips on sowing them .

In reference to the black growths in the pot, I can't tell by the picture but I get the strangest thing happening in a couple of my Utric pots: the soil slowly piles up in a corner of the pot and turns black, like an ant colony was excavating but there are never any ants. Sometimes this is extreme. I've searched for critters but never see any; sometimes the soil gets mounded over some of the foliage. There must be something living down there, maybe earthworms?

Ludwig, strange. i have not seen that before in urtics. but i have seen it before in nature. termites. but i doubt they would be in your urtic pots.
tounge.gif

later,

I still cant see it!
confused.gif
I think I found it, but Im not sure.
but anyway, Congrats adnedarn!!

Cole

for those of you not able to see them yet. (and would like to) look in the "eyes" of this picture. then you should be able to see them. they kinda look like candle sticks with a tiny flame on them. lol
U.%20d%20flower%20point.jpg

does that help?
later,

Back