What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello,
I recently got some Utricularia longifolia from adnedarn in a trade (he always sends great plants, btw). and now, about 2 months later, I SEE A FLOWER SCAPE ARISING!!!
wow.gif
It's about an inch long. I think I know what might have triggered it to flower.
1) adnedarn lives in hot, arid arizona. When he sent me the longifolia, it went through cold weather, and when it arrived, i immediately potted it up, but I grow it in cool conditions (60ºF.-70ºF., but this past week has been unusually warm. [70ºF.- 78ºF, and very dry {40%}])
2) This past week or two I've kept the medium sorta dry (letting the tray dry out for several days at a time, maybe 5 days at the longest, possibly more?)
3) I got a green thumb for utrics
wink.gif

4) it's been getting 5 hours of full sun sunce I got it, for a week or two it was overcast and cold
5) I got 2 inches of longifolia medium, and I potted it in a 4 inch pot, maybe it's flowering cause of the extra medium space
6) difference in soil medium?
7) Danget, I know I have something important here, but I forgot it with all of the noise here. I'll post it here when/IF I remember it.

I know, I know, it seems like I'm suggesting some odd things, but I'm keeping every possibility available. What do you think?
-Spec

when I visit a CP nusery Carniflora I saw several Utricularia longifolia flowering, I ask them how to make them flower but they told me they didn't know, but they were placed with Sarracenia so maybe they like a dormancy like Sarracenia?

If I remember correctly, Longifolia needs a breif, dry dormant period, when they die down to turions.
-Spec

wow, just found a pic of a longifolia flower on your link bjorn!
u_longi_bloem.jpg

Wow, that's great! Kinda messed up. But great. :) speaking of this clone have you spec or anyone growing longifolia have short leave life? they brown from the tip in. But many new leaves grow. So, it isn't like the plant isn't happy. Congrats again spec!
Andrew

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (adnedarn @ May 29 2003,11:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">speaking of this clone have you spec or anyone growing longifolia have short leave life?  they brown from the tip in.  But many new leaves grow.  So, it isn't like the plant isn't happy.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I have this one growing, but the leaves seem to last almost forever on it. I've had the same long leaves since I got the plant months ago. The longest one right now is at least 6 if not 8 inches long and that's at least 5 months old.

I head all you people
mad.gif
tounge.gif
I have 4 clones of this plant and not one of them has flowered for me. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
wink.gif
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ May 30 2003,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hate all you people  
mad.gif

tounge.gif
 I have 4 clones of this plant and not one of them has flowered for me. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  
wink.gif

wink.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
HEY! Don't hate me. I hate them too.
tounge.gif
The one that I have is thrilled with life, growing out the bottom, up the sides, roots all in the air, going crazy, huge leaves...just never a flower.
confused.gif

Um, my first utric was a U. longifolia that flowered and spread out the bottom of the pots and conquered everything in two tanks and killed my D. prolifera and D. villosa and made me mad until I ripped it out of the two tanks(In giant tank-shaped retangles0 and threw it away. I have felt kind of bad ever since, as I have never seen such a prolific thing since.

Joe

Wow, that's nuts.
tounge.gif
I trim the bottom of my pot every so often to keep that from happening. It's growing up the sides and actually all over itself too.

My longifolia grows in a UK greenhouse (some heat in winter, not much), growing in Sphagnum & standing in water all year. It grows fine and sent up a flower scape last year (forget when), although most of the flowers didn't open properly - very disappointing. It certainly didn't have any kind of dry dormancy, just normal seasonal changes in light & temperature.
Taylor suggests they need plenty of room (eg. flowerbed) to flower, although mine's only in a 4" square pot.

Giles

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (adnedarn @ May 29 2003,10:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">speaking of this clone have you spec or anyone growing longifolia have short leave life?  they brown from the tip in.  But many new leaves grow.  So, it isn't like the plant isn't happy.  Congrats again spec!
Andrew[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I've got the same problem with mine. I thought i was going to lose it when i first got it, because the few long leaves one by one began turning purplish-brown and drying up, covered with a whitish layer. Now, it's sending up lots of little leaves all through the pot, but the biggest leaves in the middle keep dieing off after about three weeks in the same fashion. I don't know enough about longifolia to know if it's too cold, too hot, too wet, too dry, too bright, or what.

Back