What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H.p. lovecraft

Barry,

I have U. 'Mrs. Marsh' in my collection (thanks Pyro) and I was wondering if this is another H.P. Lovecraft name like "Cuthulu" or "Yog Sogoth". I read everything H.P. wrote, but can't recall that name (maybe for good reason <shudder>).

I really must run down those other two. Maybe I should chant?

Ok, all together now:

"Yog Sothoth, Yog Sothoth, Yog Sothoth (eyes rolling up)
Yog Sothoth, Yog Sothoth (arms above head, waving) Yog Sothoth Yog Sothoth (high rising quaver to voice).......

All seriousness aside folks, Dr. Rice is no stranger to the use of silly names as may be seen from the link Dodec has posted. This tends to support my end of the discussion I had with Giles (Hi Giles&#33
wink.gif
at the UK Forum regarding the Cultivar Registration issues, and the use of silly names at:

http://www.cpukforum.com/cgi-bin....ad=3413

Thanks for the link Dodec.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 21 2003,03:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Barry,

I have U. 'Mrs. Marsh' in my collection (thanks Pyro) and I was wondering if this is another H.P. Lovecraft name like "Cuthulu" or "Yog Sogoth".  I read everything H.P. wrote, but can't recall that name (maybe for good reason <shudder>).

I really must run down those other two.  Maybe I should chant?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yep, the five Utricularia calycifida cultivars have lovecraftian names. A long-held interest of mine is old (pre-1940) horror. Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, Lavinia Whately, Mrs. Marsh, and Asenath Waite are all entities of one sort or another who have shown up in these stories.

I've even been known to hopefully chant Lovecraftian poety over pots of as-yet ungerminated seeds....

"That is not dead, which can eternal lie..."

Cheers

Barry

Barry,

I have a complete HP Lovecraft collection. I also have a copy of the Necromicon (&#33
wink.gif
and the King in Yellow.

This may explain why I am the way I am. snort.

Check out Collin Wilson's "The Mind Parasites" sometime if you haven't already. It's a great book that uses the Mythos in a striking way.

(aplologies for the off topic)

Back