What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia longifolia

Are there any growers of this species out there? Has anyone flowered it, or can anyone provide me with a source for this plant?

I don't know what color the flowers of mine are... it won't flower for me. I'll let you know if it flowers white....

Speaking of longifolia, hows does this plant look?  I've never seen another longifolia and am wondering if this plant looks "normal".

longifolia.jpg

-Homer

The photo shows a plant in its juvenille form. Those leaves can get to over an inch wide and up to a foot long, thick and leathery. It is looking very happy under your care.

Are you serious? A foot long! Wow! Mine have topped out at about 7 inches so far.

SF

My plant is constantly covered with a purplish spotting that seems to destroy the stolens eventually.  I have never seen a longifolia that's completely green like that.  Does anybody else have this problem with their longifolia?  It seems to ameliorate or intensify according to some condition that i haven't nailed down yet.  Humidity?  Light?  Temperature?

Your plant looks nice!

It sounds like the spots are viral or fungal. It might be related to poor air circulation. Most of by Utricularia are fine with a RH of 50%+, so you might want to consider some ventillation.

I have had leaves nearly a foot long, no kidding. My best results came from a deep airy substrate (close to a foot deep) with the stolons getting down to the wet part while the leaves remained in moss that had slightly dry heads. The plants never flowered for me though, and I speculate it was due to "too good" of a growing condition. Utricularia seem to flower best when there is some environmental stress: likely a survival mechanism to deal with periods of drought when seed is a viable reproduction option.

Thank you!  I've been growing this plant since last March.  I used a soil mixture:
1/4 peat
1/4 live sphagnum moss
1/4 vermiculite
1/4 perlite

Its pretty much a nepenthes mix... Is this similar to what you all grow your longifolia's in?  

A foot long utric, my oh my.  Lucky I have a 55 gallon tank with room.  If I ever get this or tricolor to bloom, I'll be a  very happy man.

By the way, how long do you think it will take before this plant gets mature?

It took about a year for my plants to reach the size I mentioned, and this was from a start smaller than the one in the photo.

My mix is LFS/pearlite in equal ratio. Flowering may have been initiated by densely crowded stolons and/or a period of cool temps. and is an event you will never forget!

Just wanted to give you guys a blast... Think you've seen large U.longifolia leaves? I have a picture that'll blast you out of your shoes!! I found some really large leaves last year at the Serra da Araponga, in E Minas Gerais state. I don't remember exactly how long right now, but have it written down in my field notes (in Brazil). This leaf comes from the site where I found the white form a few years before. Half the plants were normal pink-purple flowered with reddish leaves and half were white-flowered with green leaves. Plus the flowers scapes were unuasually loaded with flowers. Anwyays, if you wanna see it, then just tell me how is it that attach pics with these messages?!?!?!

Fernando Rivadavia

Rats! Torn between two loves, and I missed the chance to see the photos. C'mon Fernando, its easy!

Go here:

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/others

, and click "upload photos" . Then click "Browse" :this lets you browse your HD folders. Find the folder with the photo you want, open it, and double click the photo entry. Then click "Upload Now". When it is done processing, click the thumbnail of the photo displayed in the galley to enlarge it, and then right click on the photo. Select "properties" highlight and copy the URL displayed (be sure you get it all: start at the upper left and drag down to the lower right until you have the ".jpg" at the end). Come back here to this Forum page, and click "post reply" just as you would to answer this thread. Right above the window where you type, there is a button marked "Images" Click this. In the address bar that opens, right click, and select "paste". Now click "OK". The script that appears in the window you type your reply in is your photo. Set your cursor above or below this script and add your text, then click "Add reply". Your photo and text are now posted.

It's a lot easier than genetic phyllogeny, so I know you can do this, oh please, oh please :)

Hmmm, let me try again, this time with the picture appearing inside the message...

U_longifolia_Araponga1.jpg

Forgot to say that the leaf was over one meter in legth, I think 115cm. Don't remember well, I got it written down in my field notes somewhere, but that's back in Brazil, not here with me in Mexico.

wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

*Hits the floor in shock*

With leaves that size, what were the trap sizes? I wouldn't be surprised if it looked like a underground VFT!

SF

Didn't really search for traps in the tall grasses... Unfortunately traps sizes do not usually vary for each Utric species, since they are probably each adapted to specific prey.

Wow! U. looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooongifolia!

Thanks for sharing. Now that you have the knack, keep them coming Fernando!

Back