What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia reniformis small form

Hmmm, good point. I'm not sure what the question was. I was referring to smallest Utricularia species and smallest plant in general.

What *would* be the largest flower per biomass? Rafflesiana perhaps? As a parasite it is almost all flower, but that seems too easy. Perhaps a small saprophytic orchid species?

I think you have the largest flower right from what I can recall: it is a vine growing in South America.  I remember seeing photos of the bud, and they were larger than a beach ball.

Well, according to Jeeves, the worlds smallest flowering plant is the genus Wolffia in the Duckweed family ( there goes my pride in Utricularia olivacea, sigh).

The largest according to Jeeves : Rafflesia arnoldi.

Yes, Rafflesia have the largest flowers, but they grow in Indonesia/Malaysia. The 'saprophytic' orchids are also parasitic, and don't have terribly flowers, so I suppose Rafflesia wins the largest/biomass, although I don't know which non-parasitic species would come first in that.

Off topic I know, but it depends if you count the spathe type flowers....if you do my vote would be either Amorphophallus or Puya (the former an Aroid, the latter a Bromelliad)

Well, if your going to count the entire inflorescence as one flower, then what about the agaves? Some have inflorescences that are the size of telephone poles.

Taking this logic to its natural conclusion, I nominate Eucalyptus regnans as the species with the world's largest flower.

Giles

If I remember well, Taylor mentions U.biovularioides as being the smallest of all Utrics, and not U.olivacea. It was mentioned as possibly being the smallest flowering plant IN WEIGHT, while Lemnaceae would have the smallest flwoers I think...

Fernando Rivadavia

Giles,

Eucalyptus regnans or 'Mountain Ash' as we call the tree here in Australia is actually the worlds tallest flowering plant. The flowers are not terribly large or impressive- nowhere near so as the tree itself. They aren't as tall as the Sequoias of California though, at least not any more. Most of the largest E. regnans were cut down over a hundred years ago. Now only photos remain. Some of these were reputed to grow well over 300 feet tall.

Sean.

Back