What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

this is great! i was at a local nursery and i saw that they got some nice CPs in large pots full of live moss. well after closer examination, i noticed that there were little pings in the pots under the larger plants that were blooming. there were also sundews and a species of terrestrial utric living in the larger (for sale) plants pots. well, i looked at the utrics and noticed they had just got dome blooming and had ripe seed pods on them! sooooooo......i just kinda plucked a couple of the stalks out of there. i also found a ripe ping seed pod! i got that too. i didnt have anything to put the seeds in so i got a dollar bill and wrapped them in it. well, i sewed the seeds in this mini bog thing i made in a big water dish. im hoping they germinate. all the seeds were fresh. these plants were all hitch hikers in the larger plants pots. it was interresting..lol

i dont know what kind of utrics they are. the plants leaves are really small ( 2 to 3 millimeters ) and are pointed. the flower stalks are short ( 2 inches tall ) i didnt see any with open flowers, but there were some that were starting to open..they looked like they were white flowers, but not sure cause they were just starting to open. im just hoping its not subulata..lol does anyone have a pic of subulata (the whole plant, leaves and all) so i can compare? thank you all and take care

so your saying you took seeds from plants that were on privately owned property, that you didnt buy... Isn't there a law against that?

no , i took some of the seed pods. it was at a local nursery and the plants were hitch hikers in larger plant pots. the nursery doesnt care. i talked to a guy there....it didnt hurt anything anyway

At a guess the Utric is U. subulata. This is an insidious weed and can grow just about anywhere (I have seen it in all kinds of pots in nurseries, CP and common house plants.) If you ever plan on growing any other terrestrial Utrics I suggest you keep them as far as possible from this plant (or throw it away) as it will strangle out other plants.

Pyro

i thought subulata was yellow in color (flower). i belive the white means its a bisquamata.

Subulata is yellow in colour but when the flower is opening it often has a paler colour to it. It could indeed be biquamata but that one is a bit harder to come by (at least rumor has it) and so I didn't consider it.

Pyro

im just hoping its not subulata. ive heard how much of a plague it is. i will keep this pot as far away from my other plants till i know for sure what it is. i wish there were still flowers on them...oh well. how long do you think it will take it to grow after the seeds germinate? also, is bisquamata a plant that takes over everything else? thanks guys

-josh

Back