What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pest control

do you guys think that i could use utrics to to control mesquito larva in my rain water containers?
Thanks
Joel

The general consensus on this one is "no". While some of the larger species will eat mosquito larvae, they wouldn't consume enough of them to make much of a difference.

Any other opinions?

I use the mosquito dunks to control them in my ponds, they don't seem to hurt the plants
smile.gif
, tadpoles
smile.gif
or snails
mad.gif

Thanx and what are mesquito dunks? Also what are some of the larger utrics that you can buy, i read that they just dicoverd one in australia that has traps almost 1/2 inch in diameter

Thanks
                                                                         Joel

U. arnharia (don't quote me on the spelling) is the Australian with the 1/2" traps and has been know at least since Taylor compiled his book. The plant itself isn't all that large and in cultivation it rarly ever produces these large traps, also I have never actually seen that this plant is in cultivation. U. humboldtii has similarly sized traps and grows to a nice size. And it is in cultivation thaough it takes some tracking down.

For largest over all you would be in the realm of the aquatics, most of which I have heard can fill a 55 gallon aquarium in no time.

U. vulgaris is big enough... I've had one, and seen the size of the traps. They're for sure big enough.

mesquito dunks can be bought at most garden centers, they release a "bacteria" that the mesquito larve eat and it kills them.

Any body have any of the utris above for trade or know of a place to get them online if so please send me a message.
                                                       Thanks abunch
                                                                         JOEL

Allen Lowrie sells seeds of U. arnhenica but Utric seed is notoriously unreliable.

Humboldtii can be found at bestcarnivorousplants.com or Wistuba. Rumor also has it that Cook's might have some.

How about a mosquito fish? That'll control the larvae, and you can add the plants for decor.
wink.gif

Ut. humboldtii does produce those big traps only occasionally, the normal ones are much smaller. I won't expect it beeing a good pest control. Of course Ut. humboldtii is a very nice species with its varying leaf shapes - so everyone in Utricularia should grow at least one.
smile.gif

Joachim

Hi all. Luther Burbank(noted plant breeder/geneticist) observed that when prickly pear cactus(opuntia species) were cast upon ponds, the juice from the cactus would coat the surface of the water and keep mosquito larva from hatching for up to 1 year.

Michelle beat me to it. Feeder guppies are 10 for a dollar or so, and are smaller that other guppies. I had an Aldrovanda in my daughter's guppy tank, and the plant did great, and of course there were never mosquitos.

Back