What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SeCrEt ClUb?

• Thread starter Parasuco
  • Start date
Is the utric forum like a Pyro/Tamlin/Parasuco only club? This is so weird... Common people! This is supposed to be the genus with the most species, what about HUMANS??? I can think of a question to ask if that helps to get things flowing in here! I can think of a question for anything... Kind of a mixed blessing, hehehe...

I don't know if it is so much a secret club so much as so few of us actually grow Utrics. Tamlin and I love talking about them because we find them to be some of the most impressive (and under-rated) of CPs. I think Dodec feels the same way (hope I'm not putting words in his mouth there
smile.gif
)

As for getting things rolling here, I don't mind the laid back pace of this sub-forum, it is kind of nice to come in here and kick back and relax.

Pyro

I like utrics (the one you sent me at least, I dont have any others, so i cant say first hand) because they look small, and dainty... They are really pretty, even without flowers. I also like that they eat bugs... Miserable bugs, and their larvae children! Ahem, anyways, something else i wanted to say was that the first leaf to develope since i got it from you (it STARTED to develope the day after i recieved it ^_^) is almost as big as the others now, and I see a new baby leaf forming! Hoorah!

Yes, there is always something happening with Utricularia, a new leaf, a new runner breaking the surface, flower scapes poking up all of a sudden, flowers opening, seed pods forming, and they are perfecr for sharing. If anyone sends me a species not on my growlist I will tell them the secret word that unlocks the door of our clubhouse, yeah, thats the story.....

Parasuco,

Glad to hear that the calycifida is growing well for you
smile.gif

Tamlin,

There is a secret password? Huh, I never knew that. :biggrin:

And speaking of seed pods, I think I have succeeded in fertilizing my calycifida so I am gonna have a lot of seeds. And it was good practice for the future if I ever get any other fun species that I want seeds from.

Pyro

There certainly are other people who are into utrics. I have had contact with a few people with large collections.

Nice thing about utrics is that everyone seems to have a different set of plants in their collection, and there is always trading to be done.

Another nice thing is that the plants take up so little space, and you can grow a lot in a small space. Try keeping 40 different kinds of nep in a one-bedroom apartment.

I agree with tamlin, in that there is always something going on. I don't think that there is a single day of the year when one of my plants isn't flowering.

i like utrics..even though i only have 2 species: gibba and bisquamata. It seems talk is about rarer utrics..so yea, not me for now lol

Actually bisquamata is a fairly rare species: I still do not have this in my collection. Any interest in trading?

It is? Someone should have told me. I've thrown out tons of it over the last few years.

I think there are quite a few species that are common outside the States but are few and far between inside them. Reniformis would be another great example (or any of the epiphytes,) they seem to be very common in Europe and Asia but I almost think I'll find Bigfoot before I locate half of them in one of the 50.

Pyro

Are any of these rare? They are the only ones that i can mail order purchase...

longifolia
bisquamata
monanthos
subulata
lateriflora
biloba
novae zelandea (???Whats that?)
uliginosa
purpurea
gibba

Are any of those rare and exiting?

Parasuco,

subulata: is a WEED and if you are going to grow Utrics I recommend you never get this plant as it will spread and potentially KILL your others.

longifolia: is pretty common but it is a great plant and I recommend it.

bisquamata: you saw Tamlin's and Dodec's posts so it is kinda split, I have never seen it here in the States.

monanthos: I recieved once but it never recovered from its shipping, don't know that it is rare but wouldn't call it common either.

lateriflora: another not uncommon/not common species, nice from what I have heard and also supposed to be pretty

biloba: no idea

novae zelandea: I'd say uncommonish. (name comes from New Zealand
smile.gif
) Supposed to have real nice flowers.

uliginosa: I think this is a Chinese species but don't quote me. Not sure but I think it is also on the uncommon end of things.

purpurea and gibba: both are pretty common aquatics. gibba is good for small containers.

Pyro

if any one of you want I can send you some U.bisquamata for the price of shipping. very nice plant. It came along with a D.intermedia 'cuba' i got from CC. Then the seed came and BOOM! infestation bisquamata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't call them rare exactly, but most are worth having in your collection. You're going to get all 215 species eventually anyway, aren't you? Anyway rare is relative - most people only have livida and sandersonii in their collections.

longifolia - very nice, but you might be able to get it free if you try hard enough. Beautiful flowers.
bisquamata - pretty common, get it for free.
monanthos - is now considered a form of U. dichotoma, but is quite different - a miniture dichotoma flower on a 1-2cm tall stalk.
subulata - yuck.
lateriflora - a pretty australian species with pink flowers.
biloba - Grows best as a subaquatic under a few cm of water. Very interesting finely branched leaves. Probably the rarest of the bunch.
novae zelandea - like U. monanthos it is now considered a from of U. dichotoma, but has a small pink and white flower on a stalk 2-5cm tall.
uliginosa - kind of interesting flower - smallish, but purple and white striped. Not all that common in collections.
purpurea - aquatic.
gibba - the subulata of aquatic utrics, you can probably get it for free.

In order of rarity, I'd guess:

U. biloba
U. uliginosa
U. monanthos
U. novae-zealandia
U. lateriflora
U. longifolia
U. bisquamata
U. gibba
U. subulata

wow! u mean there is one less rare than gibba! I have only gibba and I like the aquatic ones.

*crying after hearing a plant he wants gets tossed like a weed* WWaaaaaaaaaa!!

hehe.

hey guys, any of you willing, let me know price of shipping for ANY species you want to unload some of (subulata excluded unless you're really that mean hehe) and I am willing to work out how to pay you back. I love these guys, and recently just built a new little bog on my deck and a small koi pond, so I have good room for them. I don't remember exactly what species it is I have, but it has not been mentioned here yet. It i lke rotundifolia or something like that. I'm a horrible collecter, lol, can't ever keep names straight. I can only remember my Neps and VFT names cause they are so distinct.

Just wanted to post a thank you to Zach for sending me a start of bisquamata. Fifth try is the charm I hope!

I personally think the reason that there are only about three ppl on the utric forum is that there are about three ppl with utrics. I have had little chance to buy any and often when they're availible they're overseas! The main reason that you can't find these little guys elsewhere (I think) is due to the fact that they aren't impressive. All the other CPs have spectacular traps and leaves coupled with nice flowers but utrics aren't very obvious so they aren't publicly popular.

Not impressive?!!!? Well, I have to disagree there (although I think most people do agree with your statement). Imagine going to a pot that has done not too much of anything and seeing 14 or so flower scapes emerging from the substrate, usually as straight as a ruler, each with a mysterious ball on the terminal end. They begin to take on color and form, eventually revealing flowers of the utmost personality imaginable, faces with jutting chins, long noses, pointed ears, evil grins. Goblins and Fairies looking right at you!
Some are very tiny and delicate, their scapes as fine as hair, others like the alpines more complex and beautiful than orchids (with apologies to Suzanne&#33
wink.gif
You get a feeling for their growth cycle, flooding and then drying the medium, and learn to sense when they are going to flower, but it is always a surprise and delight when it happens. For me, the traps themselves are the least of their charm and fascination, although their function and form are the most complex of all CP. These are some of the most highly evolved plants on the planet, and every one has a different character and personality. They are perfect for sharing, actually preferring to be divided, and very easy to care for in most cases. They are rare, even if their rarity stems from their unpopularity, so it is a challenge to find the plants. For those that like the different and unusual, these plants are ideal. Most Utricularia fans are very sharing, since we all have been bitten by the same magic:) There, I have sung my song of praise, now please go and find some rare species to add to our cultivation list and we will let you in the SeCRet club, lol.

Back