What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric soil

Can perlite be with the peat moss when it is mixed with the water? and does there HAVE to be peat moss can it just be water?

thanks
mike

Not sure what you are asking here.

For terrestrials, pure peat is fine but I guess you could add perlite if you really wanted to.

For aquatics, the water should be mixed with peat so as to acidify it. The peat will settle out to the bottom of the container and act as a buffer.

Greetings,
Are you sure you want to ues perlite? Darn stuff will make its way to the top if things get a little too wet.

oh sorry i mean aquatics. i just have a huge bag of peat and perlite mix and am wondering if i can use it. would the perlite hurt the utric?

thanks
mike

Perlite doesn't hurt it, but it'll float up and *maybe* block some light coming in. It's pretty annoying...if your peat & perlite is already mixed, put some in a water and skim off the perlite - you really only need a bit of peat to acidify the water like Pyro says. I've got some u.gibba in 2 cups of water, with only 3 teaspoons of peat at the bottom. Hope that helps
wink.gif

Back