What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.vulgaris

ive had some for a while in water. Is it an aquatic? how do you care for it?

mike

Temperate Aquatic... Check some places. Like, books or the net...

This time of year, the plants die back into little dormant buds that sink to the bottom of the container, and regrow when the light and temperature support growth. This is a needful process. I suggest putting the whole thing into a plastic container outdoors where the process can happen naturally. I do not grow vulgaris, but the closely related U. macrorhiza freeze solid in a dishpan, and return reliably each spring from these turions. I am not sure how the process willl affect plants that have not undergone a gradual slide into dormancy however. I guess it is sort of 50/50 if they will survive or not. I have found that the aquatics always behave better outside, and have never had long term success with growing them indoors, although I believe others have.

Hi Mike,

I've got a u.vulgaris growing right now in my windowsill. Got a dormant bud, stuck it on a cup of RO water and now it's growing like crazy. My conditions in southern california are 60-85 degrees F, indirect northern light. Same conditions that I'm growing my u. gibba in. Not sure how it will do long term in these conditions however, no bladder traps yet, just "leaves" Hope this little tidbit of info helped you.

If you freeze the Utrics. solid before they have formed turions, I'm virtually certain the plants will be dead the next time they thaw. I've never seen otherwise, although it's interesting what Tamlin says about his turions surviving it. I believe in nature they sink below the ice level.

I've successfully kept U. macrorhiza over winter, along with others. The main things to do is keep the temperature above 18 deg. C (25-30 is best) and avoid algae!!! Algae is the biggest menace to the plants, and in my opinion why they are hard to grow long term indoors. The ph should be on the acid side, but I've found the plants tolerant to 7.5. Provide good lighting.

Another thing I strongly suggest is that you divide the batch you have and place some in a jar at the window. The draftier the window the better. (you want the jar cool but well illuminated by sunshine) If you're lucky, and you very well may be, these plants will produce turions, which can then store in the fridge.

Good luck!

Chris

Back