What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The great battle!

Hello all!
  I was wondering if you could only have one terrestrial  Utricularia would it be a U. sandersoni, U. livida, or U. subulata? I would prefer percent ratings on each of the following:

Flower/easy to seed

Display

Ease of care

etc. etc. etc.

I am currently leaning toward a U. sandersoni because I love the flowers, but is there anything I should know? I curently only own U. gibba

P.S. Does anyone know where to get a Genelisa?
Thanks!
smile.gif

Why only one? They do not take up much space and I have not found sandersonii or livida to be invasive if kept in separate pots and watch for the creepy crawlies through the edges or pot holes. If you trade plants, I expect that you will (or already do) have subulata as a passenger. Subulata is more of a contaminating pest than either sandersonii or livida.

Bob pretty much summed it all up. All I could add is that sandersonii and livida would need to be pollinated as they do not self seed like subulata. I am trying this now to see if it is possible.

As for Genlisea, you have mail

That's interesting, although I don't/haven't traded yet... Would any come on CP greenhouse plants, although I haven't seen any yet
sad.gif
Genlisea? Thanks for all the help, though!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
P.S. BobZ, I will start with only one terrestrial, I'm getting two or three Sarr.'s soon, I have 12 plants already! But could always use more!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm leaning towards a subulata, because it seeds really easily... Does sandersonii need another plant to pollinate, or just some moving from anther to stigma? Also, since as far as I know, PFT doesn't sell Utrics, can I ask where to get one of these species? I will tell my only known source after I get the OK.
smile.gif
Thanks again!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

lithopsman PM me your info, I will send you these 3 species!

I have had best results with U. sandersoni (how hasn't?), but I choose subulata because it is the most challenging to get to bloom plus the flowers are the most attractive to me.

-Homer

I vote for U. sandersonii. It is as easy to grow as any of them, flowers dependably and profusely, and has a unique flower shape. It does not produce seed, in my experience, but I have never needed any.

If it wasn't so common, it would probably be one of the most sought-after of the small terrestrial species.

NO, you must grow them all! It's not possible to choose.....

@kayaker78: I thank you deeply for the offer, yet I have to refuse, because I would always feel indebted, even if I did make it up... I think I'll go for subulata because of the seeding, so I could donate to the CP world more, but maayybe U. sandersonii, because I LOVE it's flowers!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

If I had to get rid of all my Utrics but one, I would keep subulata (in preference to destroying most of my CP's trying to eradicate it). I really can't see many people leaping with joy at the thought of more U. subulata seed. I still feel guilty having given even 1 person U. subulata, let alone distributing seed of this pernicious weed around the USA. However, even I must admit the yellow flowers are very beautiful - I think they must be produced more often over there than in Britain.

Giles

I've never been particularly impressed by U. subulata. There are any number of nice yellow flowered species that aren't invasive and don't produce cleistogomous flowers.

There is very little need for seed from utrics - by the time they are established enough to flower you have enough material to send sections to a dozen other people.

I'll have to go with Tamlin's "must grow them all" mentality, but u.sandersonii is a good one to start with. Not that it may apply to you, but this particular utric gets major "oh my GOSH that's SOOOOOO CUTE!" points from everyone who sees it. I get a good laugh when my mom's church friends think it's a darling plant.

Back