What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea potting mix

Dave S.

NECPS President
Or should it be genliseae?
smile.gif

I am planning on bringing a G. Hispidula or Violancea into work where there is very low humidity. My plan is to put it in a glass container that is nearly full with rainwater and LFS.

What type of mix would you recommend for either of these plants?

That sounds good. If you keep the LFS flooded with water, it will keep the genlisea happy and humid. 100% peat moss works well also.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I have used just about every media with Genlisea. Peat:sand works well and oddly enough straight sand seems to be very good for hispidula. I recommend fluxuating the water level with time, it seem to make the plants happier

I ended up going with a g. hispidula in mostly peat/sand mix. I also have a top layer of just coarse sand which makes the display look better. It looked lost in the LFS and the peat kept covering the leaves when I would water.

Dave,

You are actually correct, the latin plural for this species is indeed genlisiae although the usage is not common. You must be sure not to capitalize with this usage: e.g.

"What medium do you grow genlisiae in?"

or alternatively

"What medium do you grow Genlisea species in?"

The latter case is always capitalized.

Thanks for the explanation. There was a thread about the pronounciation of "genlisea" and if it is the Latin way with a hard "G" or with a soft "G". I usually hear it pronounced as
jen-lis-e-a.

I still stick to my guns that Latin was a written not a spoken language, unless you were a lawyer or debated in the Public Forums.

Here is my take on it:  generate = jen-er-ate,  gentle=jen-tel
ergo Genilsea = Jen-lisea  Q.E.D. (quo ergo demonstratum)

Back