What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Tricolor flowering!!!!

For the first time ever I have got flower stalks on my U. Tricolor. I put the pot in deeper water this year as its amphibious so I think that is responsible for the outburst! The stalks are incredibaly thin! I'll post pics when they open!

Cool. Keep your fingers crossed though - I've heard that U. tricolor scapes have a habit of aborting.

Congratulations! Incredible! Amazing! Far out! Fantastic! I got mine to flower a decade ago and I still brag about it although I haven't been able to duplicate the feat. Tell me, what are your growing temperatures day and night? How deep it the water on the surface of the substrate? Thanks in advance!

Yes Richard, tell us, tell us, TELL US. We must know everything, 60 second updates on temp, humidity, light level, partial pressure of oxygen and carbon dioxide, total size of plant, position of the stars, what you had for breakfast the night of your eighth birthday.....Oh, wait I'm getting carried away :biggrin:

But I too am interested in your conditions.

Pyro

The plant is a colony i started just under 2 years ago. Its in a 5 inch 1/2 pot. The plant is in a polystyrene tub slightly deeper than the pot and the water level at the moment is just at the same level as the surface of the compost (though i might make it deeper). It grows in my greenhouse wich at the moment is getting daytime temps of 28-35*c and night temps drop to about 7-10*c + It is in dappled shade under a large flowering cherry tree.
I REALLY hope the flowers don't abort! They seem to be growing quite vigorously. I will keep you all posted!

Mine always abort! They get some sort of fungus.

gardenofeden, please refer to my discussion about the fungus of the U. Tricolor which is in this discussion forum.

UPDATE!
The stems are still growing healthily and are now about 4 inches high and i'm starting to see what may be tiny buds developing at the tips!

Nnooooooooooooooooooo!
The flower stems have taken this long to mature. The stem is about 7 inches long and has two buds on the tip the one is at birsting point and will be open within the next two days!
Problem is I fly to Majorca tommorrow morning.....
sad.gif

Richard,
Looks like Murphy is hard at work in your neck of the woods too! I just missed seeing an orchid cactus flower that never flowered for me when I was at the Greyfox festival. The neighbors said it was really something. Ah well.

I just got my U. Tricolor to send up about 7 stalks but now some of them are simply dying back. I think I can see buds but they don't open. Cursed thing...

Back