What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric books?

Have any of you found/boughten books specifically about Utricularia? There is one book I am considering called "The Genus Utricularia" published by Kew Botanical Gardens but I think it only details each species and habitat (214 species covered over 724 pages) and I don't think it deals with actual cultivation at all -of course I haven't seen it yet so maybe it does...
Are there any books specifically on cultivating Utrics?
Anyone have the book I'm thinking of getting? What do you think of it? Worth the $77 (incl. postage)?

Thanks for any thoughts!

If you are really into the genus, then you have to have the book. I've just about worn out my copy. Be warned: its pretty serious - there are no colour photos and it is very technical. It's worth every penny though.

Your right, there is no info on cultivation, but there are a few good hints. It gives some habitat info for each species.

If you want to know how the plants grow and work, then you can get Lloyd or Darwin's book. There isn't really anything that has much useful info on cultivation.

I love reading scientific works so the technicality is no problem. Is the text somewhat like Neps of Borneo/Sumatra or?
Is it also true that there is a full page drawing of each species? Is the size of the book about like an 9" x 4" Audubon Society size pocket guide-that's the impression I got when I made the calculations from mm to inches.

That's the problem with mailorder books, you have to take the plunge there's no putting it back on the shelf and backing out once you finally get to see it.
biggrin.gif

It's quite a bit more technical than C. Clarke's Nepenthes books and not full of colour (color) photographs lot's of excellent botanical line drawings though.
If you are really into Utrics it's a must, but there's no cultivation data. I don't know how easy it is to get in the USA at the moment, but Kew Gardens in London have it for sale at £40 (about $60). It's a heavy book so the postage might be quite high to the USA.
Kew Books
I hope it's ok to post this URL.

Cheers
Vic

Yeah, it's pretty big. About the size of a hardcover novel (but it's paperback), and nearly 800 pages long. The thickness of a small phonebook. It is mostly reference, it's not something you would read recreationally. There are some good descriptions of morphology and anatomy, however.

Hey, my post disappeared!?!?! How odd. I guess I'll try again but most of it has been covered.

Really all I can add is that it does have line drawings for pretty much every species which I quite like.

Does it have good line drawings of the aquatics? If so I will probably order myself a copy.

Marjorie

You wont find better, it's the book for checking the ID of all Utrics.

Vic

Yeah, what Vic said
smile.gif

Magore: it has excellent line drawings of *all* the utrics.

I placed the order today with Kew Books. I am not sure how long it will take to get here , but I am sure it will be worth the wait.

I ordered the book today too!

I'm not exactly sure what the field "valid from" is asking for on the ordering page where you enter your credit card details so I left it blank. If they need it they'll get hold of me I guess!

I hope it comes soon!
smile.gif

Josh
The field 'valid from' refers to the date (mm/yy) from which your card was issued, it should be near the 'expiry date' on your credit card. If you omit a field when online ordering, don't assume you will be contacted, computers can be pretty dumb sometimes.

Vic

I got an order confirmation email right after I placed the order so hopefully it all works out! Ah, looking closely I see now that my card doesn't say valid from it says "customer since". Oh well, I guess I'll see what happens on Monday when they (hopefully) start to process my order.

Those of you who have this book are you in the US? Did you order from Kew Books? How long did it take to arrive?

Y'all be careful with that book: I heard a story that Peter Taylor wouldn't so much as look at a Utricularia after the work was completed. Makes me afraid to read it, I might get sucked right in.

Sucked right in.....

I ordered mine from Kew. It took a really long time to arrive (~6 weeks). I think that the price at amazon or whatever would be about the same, and you'd get it faster in NA.

Tamlin, it took Peter Taylor 41 years to write this book - so some sort of depression is quite understandable. As long it will take us another 41 years to get bored of Utrics, I think the risk of reading this fantastic work isn't too high...

Joachim

Getting it through Amazon was a bit of a chore for me. I had to put myself on the "looking for this book" list. took about 5 months but it showed up. And now I will never let it get away from me
smile.gif

As far as getting sucked in (bad pun Tamlin
smile.gif
) it is too late for me but I am fine with that

Back