What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They didn't sprout

I purchased some Genlisea aurea, U. reniformis and U. alpina seeds and have had them in proper sowing conditions but as of 4-6 weeks they have not sprouted. Should I dispose of these pots and put that space to more constructive use or is there still a chance they will sprout? I knew it was a long shot with the seeds of these plants anyway.

(PS anyone know where to get these plants domestically without an import permit?)

Getting plants is always the easier way. I think that BestCarnivorousPlants.com carries G. aurea, and if you're in the US, and Andread Wistuba sells U. alpina. I don't know about U. reniformis.

Seeds. Well. For one, they need to be fairly fresh to germinate, from what I've heard. I've had some really good results with some U. multifida and U. violacea lately. I had never had much luck with utric seeds, but this time, I sowed them on peat/sand as usual, but I gave them a light spraying with a spray bottle each day. I now have over 30 U. violacea seedlings, and about a dozen of U. multifida.

It could be just a coincidence, but I think that the spraying might have simulated rain and leached out growth inhibitors that may have been present in the dormant seed. It also kept the algae, moss and mold from competing with the seeds.

Anyway, I would do what William recommends and plant more seeds of a different species in the same pot. Utrics can take up to 9 months or so to germinate.

Uhhh, a slight correction: William recommends sowing plants of another genus so as to avoid confusion based on similar form :)

Back