What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm growing subulata along with sandersonii in a terrarium. The temp is maintained at about 70 degrees with a humidity of 80% on average. The photoperiod is 12 hours in winter and 16 in summer. Right now, the photoperiod is 14 hours. My question is... the subulata has not flowered yet this year. It is growing, looks healthy, but still no blooms. The sandersonii sends up flower stalks year around.

Does the subulata need a cool winter dormancy?
Is the photoperiod still too short for it to flower?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

-Homer

My U. subulata flowers profolicaly
biggrin.gif

I have it quarantined in its own terrarium, temp. 60 at night 75 during the day, 18 hour photo period. Water fluctuates between flooded and dry on a weekly basis.

I do have some that does not flower though, from a different source. All of mine I have aquired as a weed in other plants.

You might try drying off the substrate it is in, this sometimes triggers this species to flower.

I think cool nights might be the key. Try putting it on a cool windowsill.

Well, I dried out the soil in the subulata pot for 2 weeks, and it still has not flowered yet.  I do have good news though: my subulata (from same colony ~2 years ago) that was dormant outside over the winter (temperate maritime climate) has bloomed all of a sudden during a string of warmer weather we've been having the past few weeks.

It seems a good dormancy that involves cooler conditions gets this species to produce flowers.  

thanks,

Homer

For the first time in several years, I have a chasmogamously flowering U. subulata in my collection - a new 'clone' that came in with some U. tridentata. I don't know what conditions it was in previously, but now it is in full sun, warm greenhouse on the bench in lots of water - maybe the change of conditions & potting up induced the flowering.

Giles

I think that it is a combination of genetics, water level, and temperature. I have had consistantly blooming U.subulata since last November, but I notice that drying causes new blooms and the recent onset of warmer temperatures has caused hundreds of new blooms

Back