What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii

Does anyone have a start of U. humboldtii that I coud get off of them? Please let me know if so! Thanks.

...but not until Summer/fall.

U.humboldtii is a rare plant. It would probably be best to post on one of the many trade forums on the internet.
Does anyone here actually grow this plant?

This one is on my wishlist too.

I have grown it for about 10 years. very slow.

I hear that the bladders and flowers are spectacular.

I used to have it until my @#&#36%@# cat got to it.

:eek:

Pyro, I have a solution for you:

cat_in_pitcher.jpg

:biggrin:

Hi GOE, what conditions are you growing your plant under? Would you be able to spare a start in the future? What I would like to try is a set up like the one in the back of "Savage Garden" that they were growing the corkscrew plant in, and I thought that humboldtii would be particularly good for it as it is supposed to have particularly large traps on a reasonably sized plant. Let me know! Thanks.

What about U. multifida? It used to be Polympopholyx multifida I think... Don't they have big traps, or was that just a BIG picture i saw???

Greencrunch,

You might also want to consider U. nephrophylla. If I remember correctly it is just about equal to humboldtii but easier to grow.

I don't know of a source unfortunatly so it might take a little searching.

Pyro

Is U. nephrophylla the same thing as U. reniformis?

Nope. Nephrophylla is a different species that reniformis. They are realted though, as is humboldtii, so the look somewhat similar.

Pyro

gardenofeden :
Can you give me advice how to get them to flower ?
Where is your clone from ? Do you know ?
Is U. humboldtii self-fertile or do you need two different clones in flower to produce seed (I would be VERY interested in seeing this seed with my own eyes)

greencrunch :
I noticed the biggest traps on the surface of very wet soil (mostly sphagnum) and on the bottom of the pot. I use a glas filled with dead sphagum and you can see at least some of the traps.
I wouldn't suggest growing them in pure water (but my experience with this spezies is very limited)
It's easy to propagate via the "runners" (or how do you call them, see picture...)
Grows under the same climatic conditions as Heliamphora.

Martin

http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/Utri_humboldtii03.jpg

(Edited by Martin at 6:24 pm on Mar. 31, 2002)

I grow Nephrophylla.
The leaves are small (max 1 cm across) and are a dark olive green colour. They are spotted with little grey bumps and the underside is purple. The leaves are reniform like Reniformis but are only held 1cm high above the soil. I have positivly ID'd this plant and have sen it in other people's collection under the same name so as you can see it doesnt look like Reniformis. The flowers however ARE similar but are a very pale almost white colour, but I have only had it flower for me once.
Does anybody else grow this plant? Can you describe yours?

Yes, that sounds like nephrophylla alright. I think that the pustular leaves are a give away. U. nephrophylla doesn't have the extra large traps that U. humboltii has, so would not be especially good for the technique Greencrunch described.

Both U. livida and U. dichotoma have largish traps and would be much faster and easier to grow in the setting you've described, GC. As for U. humboltii - my guess would be (I have not grown this species) that it would be better to grow it in a raised pot and let the stolons hang out the bottom.

Thanks Dodec. et al, I am going to try it with U. dichotoma, got some seeds coming, I will keep you posted on how it works!

Let us know how it works.

Pyro,
I think you mean Utricularia nelumbifolia, this one also grows in the water urns of bromeliads and I grow this as well.
I grow this and humboldtii under the same conditions, namely in pure life sphagnum moss standing in water. I did try all sorts of arrangements with concentric pots etc trying to mimic bromeliads, but sphagnum works fine. They produce lots of arching shoots, which in nature obviously land in adjacent bromeliads then develop into new plants, but this is very useful for propagating as you can guide the shoots into new pots! If you let the shoots grow in the water they do quite well too..
Martin,
I have only flowered humboldtii once, and I was growing it in quite warm slightly shady conditions with Highland Nepenthes at the time. Nelumbifolia flowers much more easily and is generally in more vigorous and easy grower. I get seed most years, which germinates immediately !

GOE,

Just so. I knew it didn't sound right but I couldn't figure out why. Thanks for the correction

Pyro

Back