What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ok, quick U. Lividia question

schloaty

Staff member
My Lividia(s?) is has tons of really cute white flowers. however, there are also some rather cool purple ones. Does this mean I have more than one plant, or can one plant produce different colored flowers?

Yeah, that sounds normal. Livida (only two 'i's) flowers will be purple if they have lots of light, white if they don't.

I will say that it isn't the darkest purple, mine are in full sun and you can only just detect a hint of purple flush

My purple ones are really purple! Wish I had a digital camera! Also, there are a LOT of blooms....Is that normal? Not like I'm complaining
wink.gif
just cecking.

Purple like the one on the BestCP photo gallery? If that is the case then I am going to guess that you managed to get both colour forms. But that is just a guess.

And yes, lots of blooms is normal
smile.gif

Where did you get it from? U. arenaria looks a bit like a purple U. livida.

I actually got it from a different on-line nursery (this was before I discovered this sight). I don't really think I should post their name, but the plants I got were all healthy.

What you say about a having other forms/species Is quite possible....there were many stow aways in my pots when I got the plants.
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

Anything is possible I guess. But usually one species will tend to overwhelm another (hence the reason we all hate U. subulata
mad.gif
mad.gif
)

I do know of a grower that has told me of their subulata has both white and yellow flowers so there is also the possibility that you have an odd mutant doing something like that.

Can you get a photo for us? I know utrics are tricky to photograph and it might not be possible.

In my experience, the trick to getting decent photos of Utric flowers is to get the camera as close as possible to the bloom before you try using the zoom.

I've only ever used digital cameras to photograph plants, so I just used the macro mode and tried to get as close as possible and still focus. A lot of trial and error.

I will try to get a hold of my sister in law's digital camera...I need it anyway for the rest of the collection!
wow.gif

Back