What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow

My U. hispida is flowering! It's the straggliest slowest growing utric I've ever seen, I was always happy enough just to keep it alive.

WOOOOHOOOO!! glad to hear it. it's always great when you impress yourself ain't it?!
later,

Congratulations. I can tell that this is a real accomplishment by the growth pattern of my plant, which grows not at all, and then continues not to do so. I figure it will come to terms with life here in Oswego at some point, and will take off. Most species usually do (providing the Postal workers have not been irritable).

I will argee that this is an odd bird of a plant. The one that you sent me I could have sworn was dead as it all but disappeared from the surface of the pot. When I moved it to a new setting I knocked the pot over to check it and lo and behold it was there rather thickly. The bugger just doesn't seem to want to produce leaves.

How are you growing yours? Standard methods?

I have mine in a plug of live sphag planted in peat:sand. I am wondering if the sphag is part of the cause of the strange growth.

COngrats Dodecateon.

Don't you have a pic?? We'd love to see how it looks..

It has a really odd growth pattern - the leaves are in groups of 2-5 at nodes that are spaced several inches apart. It just grows round and round in circles in the pot, occasionally putting up leaves. It seems to grow somewhat seasonally, with bursts every now and then, followed by the leaves getting old and dieing back a bit (much like the related U. praelonga does for me). I have had my plants for about three years now, and I have never repotted, although I have taken cuttings for people.

It is planted in a peat/sand mix in a 4inch pot. The water level is about level with the soil surface, so that there are a few puddles, but the water level can get to about an inch below the surface (it grows in the same tray as my humboldtii and nelumbifolia). The person I got from recommended giving it a sloping soil surface, part above water, part under water. I used to do this, but the soil has since slumped to the point where it is more or less level.

Temps have been a bit low lately - down to about 16C in the terrarium - this might have something to do with it flowering. I had also let the water level fall a bit.

My advice with this plant is to be patient. It is a slow and sparse grower.

No pics yet. I will do what I can. It should still be a few weeks before the flower opens.

I had a look at my division, and there is some slight stolon activity, but it is a very slow grower.

Back