What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia calycifida 'cthulhu'

Does anyone grow Utricularia calycifida 'Cthulhu'?
or know where to get it from?

I am growing it, thought of all the BMR cultivars it is the slowest grower for me. If it picks up I might be able to provide for you but the way it is growing it will still be a few months.

Thanks Pyro. Hehe, i'll keep my fingers crossed. This is definately one that I want in the collection.

Strange that it's slow though, I thought I read somewhere that it's invasive. Although, I guess a sloth could be invasive in it's own right.

Btw, how large do the leaves get?

Invasive? Hmm.. If so then there is something wrong with my plant. It has been a small tyke since I first got it, largest leaf was dime sized. Most of my other BMR cultivars are much more massive and rapid growing, in fact, I think 2 of them are about to flower

Hey Pyro, I found this info on it:

"Utricularia calycifida is a plant with fast development which multiplies very abundantly. It thus needs an enough broad pot to be able to extend its stolons and its 'roots'."

Info on Utricularia calycifida

I know this isn't for the specific cultivar, but it seems it should grow a little faster.

Most calycifida are very prolific, for some reason this one and one other of the BMR cultivars are very slow and reluctant for me though.

Since these plants are still true species they do not exhibit hybrid vigour (which is what I assume you are refering to when you say it should grow faster.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ April 09 2003,3:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Since these plants are still true species they do not exhibit hybrid vigour (which is what I assume you are refering to when you say it should grow faster.)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That makes sense. I was actually referring to "fast development which multiplies very abundantly". I originally didn't think that a cultivar would show that much of a difference, but now that i'm thinking about it, it could be a complete change...that's kind of the point.
tounge.gif

Which other cultivars do you grow btw?

I am growing all of Barry's cultivars. I can't remember the names on all of them though LOL

Back