What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aquatic utrics.  peat in water or filter?

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello, of the aquatic utrics I have grown in the past (U. gibba) I used the basic peat on bottom of tank with layer of sand over it. But, has anyone tried leaving the tank empty, and putting peat into the filter so it will condition the water? It's not like the plants must be "planted" in the mix... so, I assume just treating the water by having the water run through the peat in the filter. Thanks for anything you have to say!!
Andrew

I don't use peat with my U. gibba, it is in the same water I received it in (from habitat) with a little distilled water to keep the water level up.

I am not sure what you mean by a "filter", can you elaborate?

sure... I purchased a very small filter, which is just a pump that pumps water up it passes through this bag then pours kinda like a water fall back into the water.
Now, the one I bought, you can build your own bag. Put activated carbon in it or nothing basicaly what ever you want the water to pass through for what ever reason... What I am thinking is to put the peat in this bag, so the water will pass through it and perhaps "condition" the water to the ph and all that the plants need. Without putting all that peat and sand in the bottom of the tank. that enough details?
thanks, Andrew

I see. Hmmmm, good question, but not one that I have any experience with. It seems logical that it might work ok. I suggest you try a test run and measure the Ph before comitting your plaant to the experiment. Or you can throw caution to the wind and give her a try!

Sounds good to me. That said, anyone know what ph I should be looking for generally? And is there anything else i should be keeping track of for these guys?
Thanks,
Andrew

Back