What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U gibba

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
What are the growing conditions that your U. gibba is growing in? I ued to have one but I think the sun burnt/killed it. I am wanting to try again and was wondering what conditions to have them in.

My best success was outdoors in an opaque tub with leaf and peat detrius on the bottom, screened with white plastic film and in broken sunlight. In one season it filled the tub and produced many flower scapes. It is not hardy in NY though
:-(

I have a bit of it now in plain old water (from habitat) to which I carefully add a small amount of distilled water to replace what little evaporation takes away. It maintains itself well, but doesn't flower for me like this.

i keep my clump of utric gibba in a round vase on the windowsill. I don't bother it, it doesnt bother me lol. Just throw it in a container of water and some LFS and you have yourself an unstoppable utric machine

Thanks. I've read that a u. gibba can come back even after being frozen solid. Is this true? Also I live in the mountains of North Carolina, could I grow it outside year-round, as we get freezing temps quite often in the winter?

My aquatic utrics as kept in a 10 gallon aquarium.  I have approximately 1.5 inches of peat on the bottom, covered by aquatic plant soil.  This appears to be working well for all the aquatics.  

I also have aquatics in my small pond.  I have a pond heater/deicer in the pond so they should do fine. Only the more hardy are in the pond.

They did not survive the Upstate NY winter here. Better take care with that!

Wesley/Tamlin: There is some reports in botany books about U.gibba in the wild in Quebec. It can be found growing in the Farhnam bogs and lake, but its distribution here is restricted to this area (Southern Quebec). I know it is not hardy elsewhere, perhaps it is able to set seeds at this place to survive winter? For references, one of the books I've read about this is the 'Flore Laurentienne'.

Well, Quebec is certainly North of me! It might be that my container was too small: only a dishpan and so the cold was able to get to it more. Still, I would be cautious about trying to overwinter it in similar conditions. I haven't enough experience to say much more than mine died completely, and the tub was nearly solid with it.

Ohh... I don't think I'll try that! Of coarse I have to find one first. I have asked Phil, but he has not replied yet.

Back