What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia nephrophylla White Flower

Well, I'm on a photo posting spree, LOL, thanks to the available webspace that Trashcan has so kindly set up. Since I repotted this species into a disposable food storage container (6x3 inches or so) it has shown great growth. When I repotted I placed a layer of large (1/2 inch and pea sized) broken pumice on the bottom, and sat the former "root ball" on this. I filled in around the edges with a loose mix of coarse peat and silica sand. I think the room to run really is more optimal than the restrictions in a pot, and the pumice keepts the medium from compacting at the base, reducing anaerobic processes.

Utricularia_nephrophylla_white_flower_multiplescapes_110203_5.sized.jpg

Utricularia_nephrophylla_white_flower_leaves_091403_2.sized.jpg

Hi Tamlin,

Nice plants. My pink flowered U. nephrophylla is producing its first ever flower bud for me at the moment. I'm rapt with just the single flowerscape let alone a whole bunch of them. Your 'lolons' cover alot more of the growing mix than what mine do as well. Sounds like your new growing method is certainly allowing the species to prosper.

I'll post an image of mine the minute it flowers.

Regards,

Sean.

Hey you used my terminology, LOL!!! Who knows maybe it will catch on. :) I imagine the pink flowered form is very lovely indeed. Someday I hope to have this under cultivation.

I think that providing some basal aeration is going to prove optimal with just about all the Utricularia species. "Rolons" are turning into "lolons" even down amidst the pumice chunks, and the transparency of the container encourages similar production wherever there are air pockets.

I owe you an email, but just wanted to say that the plants in your GH are stunning! I am heterophyllous with envy!

Wow, Your pictures are great Tamlin! You must tell me how long the flowers last. Nephrophylla is the last flower I bought this year, I recieved a one inch plug thing. The scapes are starting to multiply quite rapidly. I hope my pot will look like yours soon and I hope I get a few flowers too.

These flowers are very long lasting! Mine are close to a month old now. The photo was taken 110203, and most flowers are still open and looking good, with more on the way. This is a very worthy species.

I sure would love to grow the pink flowered clone, sigh. It is just so hard to find these plants here in the States.

Hi Tamlin,

My pink flowered clone has a flowerscape about 2 inches tall. How tall do they generally get under ideal conditions? Hopefully mine will make the journey and not abort. You reckon it's hard to get Utrics in the USA? Try getting anything other than U. bisquamata, longifolia, livida, sandersonii, dichotoma, tricolor and reniformis in Australia- alomost impossible!!

I'm working on rectifying that situation though!

Regards,

Sean.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Try getting anything other than U. bisquamata, longifolia, livida, sandersonii, dichotoma, tricolor and reniformis in Australia- alomost impossible!!

Too true! I think I have all the Utrics in common cultivation down here except sandersonii, which is near imposible to get!! This doesn't leave you with much of a grow list!!
sad.gif

George

The scapes on my plant average about 8 inches (sorry I don't have the metric equivalent internalized. We are cripples here in the US regarding this!)

Isn't it ironic that in the country hosting the largest distribution of Utricularia they should remain so scarce! Sheesh! With so many species it seems that all you would need to do is take a short walk and there would be 8 or 10 species clinging to your heels, but obviously not!

Back