What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia hispida

Can anyone (like you Fernando) tell me a bit about the conditions in habitat for this species? This has got to be the most frustrating species I am cultivating, and I fear I am going to lose it if I can't give it more of what it wants!

Frustrating? I thought it was a weed. Maybe you have the wrong plant, hehehe! It usually grows in year-round very wet seepages among tall grasses, between ~500-2000m.

Good luck!
Fernando

Thanks Fernando. I don't know what I am doing wrong with this one, based on your observations I am doing everything right. I wish it really was a weed, but at least in cultivation it isn't.

I ithink its just a slow growing plant, and produces fewer, more widely spaced leaves than other species. I also find that it grows in a seasonal pattern, even indoors under lights, producing a flush of growth each spring.

Mine has always looked quite bedraggled but it has flowered, so it can't be too unhappy.

Hold on! I checked the plant today and Lo and Behold I am actually seeing some faint thin grass like leaves beginning to show again! It lives! Yes, and here is a small wider shaped leaf. Maybe it heard my cry! OK, I can breathe easier now: that which lives is not dying!

I find this to be a very strange plant for me in cultivation. When I first recieved it it had leaves somewhat resembling livida but tall. Shortly after potting it up those leaves disappeared and I thought it had died. Then I got some odd growth that looked a bit like grass but was not nearly as vigorous, upon pulling one of these "tufts" out I discovered that it was the hispida. I have since kept an eye on the plant and found that it seems to grow in fits and starts, tufts will die down and be replaced by new growth somewhere else in the pot. I have yet to get the plant to form anything other than the tall grass like leaves though

Pyro,

I would be happy to see this much action, and it looks like it might be happening. Gotta love those HID lights!!!

Hey Pyro, those long grass-like leaves are the typical mature leaves of this species. Hopefully you'll get flowers soon. Not that the flowers on this species are anythinhg really spectacular but.... Well, maybe I'm just a bit bored by it because it's so #### common in Brazil. They're usually yellowish, cream, whitish, or greyish in Brazil, but I have seen some beautiful blue, purple and dark pink ones in Venezuela!

Fernando

Fernando,

Good information to know, I'll have to keep a close eye on this guy. Thanks

The ones on the clone I have are in the cream/yellow category. I've posted pics of it here before.

I wonder if it was semi dormant. Suddenly its just growing. It must have been Fernando reminding it that it was a weed that did it, hee hee.

Hmmm, I wonder if the #### was put in automatically by a software ou by moderators. I was not aware that d-a-m-n was a bad word....

OK, it was just a test of my hypothesis. So there are certain words filtered automatically by software. In case anybody is offended by that word, sorry about my curiosity, but I had to test it!
smile.gif
:)

Fernando

Yes, we aren't allowed to get too salty here, and that particular word is regarded by many Christian traditions as a curse, and hence, not polite. As for me, I use the #### word all the time. So, the computer has a #### field day. What the #### can you do, except laugh about it. Moderators only censor free thought and opinion, in line with our goals of total mind control, muahahahaha!

You just need to be creative and come up w/ words like d@mn.

Back