What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kong Hong's Utricularia

2003102621182293314.jpg

200310262233431487.jpg

2003102622352021223.jpg

purple and blue flowered form

edit: fixed a little syntax that was keeping the first picture from loading... Tony

Sundewrex,

Your pictures of Hong Kong native CPs are fantastic! Keep them coming.

biggrin.gif

I have always wanted to grow this species. Thanks very much for the fine photos. I am going to have to redouble my efforts to find this species!

sundewrex,

Are there many people in HK that are into CPs? I suspect that not many would be. Thanks.

I have had a few specimens of U. caerulea that have turned out to be U. lateriflora. I have one now that is just about to flower, and I am hoping that it will turn out to be the real thing.

that's right....
there are not many people who interested in cps.
hope will be more in the future!
the following Utricularia striatula is the one i like the most..
2003101923493864881.jpg

one more photo
2003101923494431458.jpg

this is also native to Hong Kong.

I grew U. striatula for a while, but unfortunately I ended up killing it. Mine produced lots of cleistogomous flowers, only once producing a true flower. I seem to remember the flower having more colour to it than the one in the picture, but I expect that it is just a variation.

Have you collected specimens of either of these plants?

(BTW The "U. caerulea" flowered today, and it is just another U. lateriflora. Sigh.)

Which part of HK did you see the Utrics? Mainland or island?

This is so funny! I checked sundewrex's link and the Chinese name for Utricularia uliginosa translates into 'Wetland Ear-digging Herb'
laugh.gif

How does one clear ear wax with a Utric?
biggrin.gif

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the translation would be "earpick", named so because of the shape of the flower.

Ah yes! Earpick would be a more elegant word for that instrument!
biggrin.gif

most of them grow on Lantau island of Hong Kong,they are distributed in different locations,some Utrics like wet and full-sunlight,some does not...
U. caerulea is the one grows in dry sand with bright sunlight,but U. striatula grows on the cliff with slow running water.
they are very difficult to flower in in-door,so i always go out to see them in the wild.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dodecatheon @ Dec. 17 2003,19:35)]Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the translation would be "earpick", named so because of the shape of the flower.
that's correct!
you've got full marks!
wink.gif

I grow U. caerulea ... and as far as I know it is correctly identified. It came from a very reputable source..

I have gotten quite a few plants from seemingly relaible sources that have turned out to be incorrectly identified. Be careful.

Has it flowered yet?

Back