What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia stygia

I am expecting some turions of this species recently featured in the CPN December issue. Can anyone tell me a good storage method? Thanks!

I can tell you how NOT to store them. I had a number of U. intermedia turions that I placed in a plastic water bottle this fall and stuck into the frig for the winter. I went to get them last week and they were gone. My wife had tossed them out thinking that something spoiled. MORAL: clearly label your treasures; then tell spouse and kids to leave them alone.

OH NO! Bob that's terrible. Did your wife feel bad and get you a little extra for Christmas
wink.gif

Chris Fieger, a long time CPer a friend of mine, wrote an article on temperate Utrics storing, and if I remember well, she putted them into a glass jar, perhaps Mason type, and stored them in the fridge until spring... Pretty similar to BobZ technique, and I second him, label your pots! Turion in peat water just look alike an old pickles jar
tounge.gif
I am wondering if I haven't read it on dodec's site ... If not, perhaps it was in the old CCPS article from 5 years ago...

Let just hope this technique apply to this species as well.

Well, if I ever do see them I will try, but I think this was a case of wishful thinking. Darn.

could anybody tell me how Utricularia stygia got it's name? was it a Scandinavian botanist (Linneus?) who named it?

Bjorn,

Just check the Carnivorous Plant Database to find out who the author of a plant species is. This is the data for U. stygia :

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N: +[Utricularia stygia {Thor}]
P: Nord.J.Bot.8:219 (1988)
T: 2,5 km SE Strangsjoe, St.Malm par., Soedermanland, SE, 19. 6. 1986, G.Thor 6581 (S)
CLA: AST-SCR-LEN-UTR-UTR-UTR
L: US (Alaska), CA (Nova Scotia, Mackenzie), GB, DK, NO, SE, FI, DE, AT, CZ, SK
LFR:
1:
Arctic
2:
Atlantic Europe
3:
Central Europe
8:
Northern Europe
15:
Canada incl. Great Lakes

It was described by Goran Thor, a Swede in 1988 in the Nordic Journal of Botany.

Vic

ah... just wondering, cause stygg mean ugly in Norwegian
tounge.gif

Back