What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first bladderwort

Hey everyone,

I usually dont post in here since I didnt have any of these plants until now. Anyway, I got my first utric, a u. sandesonii (spelling?) and in The Savage Garden there isnt much detail on its climate. Any tips on the tempuratures or dormancy? thanks. p.s. there were only 3 results on google when I searched for u. sandesonii. oh, and I also now have a small genlisea, so I guess I'll be posting here more.

EDIT: ok, so you can spell it sanderesonii or something, but still, any hints?

It's U. sandersonii! (and yes, spelling matters
wink.gif
)

It's culture is typical.  I grow mine in pure fluffed peat, tray water, average temps, medium light, moderate humidity, no dormancy.  Like most of the terresterial species, it's an easy grower.

I've been growing mine in peat/sand/perlite (1:1:1).
Anybody have experience in this mixture with U.sandersonii?
biggrin.gif

Edit: Watering method is overhead misting with occasional flooding.

I grow mine peat 2/sand 1/perlite 1 with good results. I use the tray method for watering and keep my utrics wet. The water level is allowed for fluctuate.

ok, thanks. I'm going to keep it in the same medium it was in when I got it, but transplant it into a clear plastic cup for trap-lookin'
biggrin.gif
no dormancy- thats a nice thing
maybe I'll water it with both ways, seems ok.

change in setup- its in peat, maybe a LITTLE perlite, but basically peat. The plant is in a small glass container. Any idea how big the traps are? also, does this plant grow fast? note: the glass container doesnt have holes, so its just top watering

I grew my U.sandersonii in peat/sand and it grew and flowered, but didnt thrive. I transplanted sections into milled LFS and now they are already the size of the original (I only started these two months ago). Many people have had GREAT luck with using peat/sand on almost all utrics, but mine never seem to do that well in it. Maybe try some in each?

Cole

Back