What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. sandersonii questions

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I have some U. sandersonii, that had flowered, and the flower has fallen off. Many more are starting to bloom. It has left behind, what I guess will be what will be a seed pod. Does U. sandersonii self pollinate? and how long do you let it on the stalk before collecting?

Good question. I have a U. sandersonni flowering now too, and would like to know this answer as well. If I may add a question, how do you collect the seed? In the same way as a Drosera flower's?

SF

I have never heard of U. sandersonii producing seed in cultivation. For utrics that do produce seed, you can probably collect it the same as any other seed.

I believe they are self sterile. I have never had a single pod.

Maybe someone could try cross-pollinating with two different clones of U. sandersonii. Or even with U. livida, a very closely related species. For Utrics that do seed, you can wait until the pod turns brown and/or splits open and then collect the seeds.

Giles

I was lazy when I wrote this question. I check my Savage Garden book, and it says to use a toothpick or small paint brush to tease the flower.

U.livida is closely related to u.sandersonii?! They seem so different.

This is one plant that goes nuts just by spreading. I haven't attempted anything with the seed pods.

Back