What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's SP-2

It is a livida, but what type.  William, is this a durban?

lividaunknown.jpg

You can see that it also has purple at the crown.

could be, it look like mine, but mine don't have the yellow dot in the middle....

There seems to be some variation from the Durban form: darn that yellow spot in the center!!! Here is a form from South Africa that I cultivate:

Utricularia_livida_South_Africa_062503_2.sized.jpg

Yours seems to be intermediate between this and the "so called "U. microcalyx" that is driving collectors bonkers all over the world:

Utricularia_microcalyx_uncertain_flower_122403_1.sized.jpg

and just for reference, here is U. arenaria:

Utricularia_arenaria_flower_8.sized.jpg

and the "Durban" form:

Utricularia_livida_Durban_091403.sized.jpg

and finally, the "typical" U. livida:

Utricularia_livida_flowers2.sized.jpg

By comparison, your flower most resembles the "microcalyx" in my opinion. I remain convinced that the U. microcalyx we have been seeing is a form of U. livida, possibly a result of a natural or manmade hybrid between U. livida and something else: possibly U. sandersonii, but this is mere speculation since I do not yet have a copy of Taylor.

Look at the skirt of U. sandersonii "blue flower":

Utricularia_sandersonii_blue_flower_1.sized.jpg

All these plants are obviously closely related! Both U. sandersonii and U. lidida have a yellow splotch. If you consider the leaf forms of U. sandersonii, U. livida "Durban" and U. livida "South Africa" all have a very different look from Typical U. arenaria or typical U. livida, the leaves are broader. The kicker is that the U. "Sp. 2" which I think most resembles the "microcalyx" in flower form also has these shaped leaves, and I would have expected that they would look more like the typical U. livida or U. "microcalyx" (as below)!!!

Both the U. "microcalyx" , U. arenaria and the typical U. livida have similar shaped "club like" leaves.

So you know as much as I do about it all now. Anyone care to venture an opinion?

Um, Tamlin...Those are mighty fine flowers you have there. You know if you every have a problem with them getting out of hand I might be able to come up and knock 'em back a little for Ya.
wink.gif

It looks a lot like a U. livida that I received labelled as "U. sp. Brazil". Interesting, since I don't think that U. livida grows in Brazil.

What do the leaves of your brazil look like. Do they look like livida?

My U.sp-1 is definately U.microcalyx then!

I mean arenaria,it looks just like yours,william,except it has a very defined "face" green slanted "eyebrows" purple squinted "eyes" a green "nose" and a purple "grimmace" very freaky looking!

Or I think microcalyx,what ever the second one is!
tounge.gif

LOL> We all wish we knew what the "microcalyx" is. I suppose it will always be a matter of personal opinion.

Or you could do a DNA comparative test and see if livida and sandersonii are indeed its parents.

Back