What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alot of people say U. longifolia

Sometime not too long ago, someone (I forgot who) posted some information on the ICPS Listserve regarding this plant.  He stated that it has been observed that this plant is known to flower in pots that have a relatively large surface area and little depth.  So, I decided to repot divide my longifolia into 2 pots, one being the larger surface area and the other the origional 5" or so pot.  Here's a pic I took a few days ago of my longifolia as I was repotting it.  Of course it hasn't flowered yet  
smile.gif

outofpot.jpg

The plants are now in the same conditions ( soil mixture, light, humidity, etc).  It'll be interesting to see what happens... if only I could remember who posted that message...

-Homer

Yesterday I attended a meeting of our society and saw many flowering plants for sale. They were all of the ssp. forgetiana and in small 7 cm pots. This ssp. has smaller flowers and more erect, thinner leaves. In each 7 cm pot were two or three spikes with many flowers. So if your plants would be of that ssp they would flower all the time.

Jan

Hmmm, I think I need to find that form. I have flowered this species only twice, and that is way too seldom!

Here is one of mine.  It is the plant that was thought to be an alpina.  As you can see it is not, but the flower is lighter in color than what I have seen for the longifolia.  Does anyone know its ssp.

Taken inside under florescent.
longi.jpg

The rest are outside, in true light, but they are all fairly accurate to the color.
longifol.jpg

The leaf browning started recently and I thought it may have been caused by the flowering, but I note that all three of my longifolia are browning a bit.
longiplant.jpg

longiroot.jpg

longibound.jpg

Copper, is that the plant that you sent me, then?

The U. longifolia that i had (had) grew more or less well, but the stolons browned/purpled/whited, became brittle, and died after a short period of time. I hope your plants haven't picked up whatever disease that was.

I killed it trying the 'dry it out' trick that someone suggested. Apparently i dried it out too well.

I seem to have a curse to always lose plants to weird diseases. I can't keep a VFT alive now, and it used to be easy as can be.

Just look at this picture. It shows the plants Thomas Carow sold at a local meeting of our German society.

Jan

[EDIT:links are dead]

On a fairly unrelated note, where do you grow your longifolias, and at what temperatures? I have heard several different opinions about this, and was just curious what you all do?

~LM

Looks like the pics can't be accessed...

Back