What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. calycifida 'Yog-sothoth'

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I recieved a U. calycifida 'Yog-sothoth', and I planted it in a "tropical" Utric mix, similar to that of Nepenthes.  I did some research and found that growers using this type of mix had often times better results compared to the standard "terrestrial" mix of 1:1 peat and sand.  

So, whoever is growing this species (doesn't have to be this cultivar), what soil mix are you using, and are your results satisfactory?  This is just for fun, I know soil mix is not EVERYTHING.  
smile.gif

-Homer

I too just obtained this species.  Mine is planted in pure LFS, but there has not been enough time passed for this species to start growing again.  I look forward to its flowers immensely though!

SF

The first time I had U.calycifida, I put it into the standard 1:1 mix, and it died in my terrarium... I got it back last summer, in a similar mix, but in individual pot. The plant didn't grew much until I switch to pure LFS. Now, few new leaves are perking up and it seems to go better...

I have grown this plant for a long time in pure sphagnum moss. It grows very well under full sun conditions and sreads to other pots by seed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It grows very well under full sun conditions and sreads to other pots by seed.
Hmmm. Since U. 'Yog-sothoth' is a cultivar developed by Barry Rice, I would be careful what you name the seedlings. In the cultivar description, propagation is to be by vegetative means only.

I think that he is refering to regular plants of calycifida, not the cultivar...

The mosr robusr growth I ever got from any of the forms of calycifida was a shallow dish that was mostly full of lava rock with a thin layer of sphag on top. The majority of the plant grew in the transition zone and sent up leaves that were quarter to fifty cent diameter in size. When I later repotted all the plants into pots of straight sphag they all declined.

On another note of Utrics that like open mixes, anyone ever try tricolor in a epiphyte style mix? If you have not I highly recommend it, the ones in my Nep pots are growing into mats while the ones in subaquatic conditions look like sick runts

Back