What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric Flower and Leaf cuttings?

Two weeks ago, I accidentally pulled a U. sandersonii flower, stalk and all, out of its pot. I figured I'd try something new, and floating it in some distilled water, put it under growlights. I have seen some new growth start at the end of the stalk, so I'm assuming this inflorescence (sp?) cutting will be success. Has anybody tried this before? What were your results? Can you do this with leaves?

SF

I love propagating the more free-flowering utrics by this method. I just yank a scape out of the pot, and eighther pop it in some soil, or water. I have had great success with this method. I have tried it with leaves, but it is a bit more hit-and-miss, sometimes you get some rolons attached, other times you don't and all you have a solotary leaf.

Cole

I did this a few time in distilled water with great success. About leaves, I,ve only tried it with epiphytic ones: I cut the leaf at the base and I cut it into several piece in the case of long lamina species (such as U.longifolia), and it worked well for me for U.longifolia, reniformis f.courte and nephrophylla. Only U.humboldtii seems to resist to this treatment, for now! perhaps when it will be in more active growth, or with younger leaves (still in growth), I'll succeed with it.

I think you should be able with terrestrial too, especially with a little roots with your leaves, after all, they grow underwater in a part of the year...

Hey Tom,
What do you do for the cuttings after you cut them up? What soil, sunlight... ect.

Cole

I have tried U.livida lolon cuttings and they work realy well!

Colieo: I place them in distilled water, in a lass pot with a lid and wait, just like the similar technique for sundews. Once I see a good growth of stolons, I repot them into its 'prefered' soil mix, putting a humidity dome over the tray to 'acclimatize' the plants.

Since I mostly do this for epiphytic, I use either pure sphagnum , or a similar coarse mix used for them, varying from 1:1 peat/sand mix to a more open one with vermiculite and perlite added, plus orchid barks.

For the light, I put them within 6" of my fluorescent tubes, or on the floor on my growroom, under a 400W HPS, and I do it either for glass pots with cutting than for planted and rooted cuttings. Windowsill should alright too. The new growth on cuttings is usually visible within 2-3 weeks.

Back